4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil Dipstick problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Default Oil Dipstick problem

ALLLLLLLLright... Let me explain. A friend of a friend (of a friend) was selling an engine with 40k on it for $1000. It had aftermarket heads (ported and polished as well), a 99 intake manifold, aftermarket pistons and rods. Me and a friend split the engine and are currently working on mine (I took the top half, heads/intake).
Anywho, there are me and two friends working on the car, one knows a LOT about the car, the other, decent amount, and me, decent amount... One of us broke the dipstick off (and was going to use the new dipstick off of the new engine), and it actually broke with the ring right over the hole, and the rest in the oil pan and we can't get it out. Problem is, it doesn't look like theres enough room to take the oil pan off without removing the k-member, anyone have an idea's? I'm getting frustrated and want to see what my car's gonna run after the head/intake swap (baught pullies as well). Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Dipstick problem

have u tried 1 of those recovery magnets?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

well since your heads r off you should be able to pull the dipstick guide tube out and see if any is sticking out enuff to grab....
Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

If I'm reading it right, it broke off right above where it goes into the block. If so, you should be able to use a pair of needle nose Vice Grips to straighten up the bulge thats still there and then get a better grip on it to use a wider pair and gently pull and twist it out. Its not that tight of a fit, it has an O ring on it so it should come out, good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Exact same thing happend to me....

This is the ONLY solution without removing the engine... kinda scary as well haha.

Unbolt the motor mounts, one on each side. Drain the oil, unbolt all 16 bolts or whatever from the oil pan so it drops down. Next get a 2x4 and put it inbetween a jack and the tranny. (Right where the tranny and the oil pan almost meet up. The 2x4 should obviously not be touching it; but you want it as close to the engine as you can. Jack the tranny/engine up with the help of the 2x4 a couple inches. You'll now have enough room to reach up and down to get the 2-3 inch piece of the oil dipstick.

Best of luck... it sucked.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Yeah, it is stuck right at the block... There's a little ring there but it's getting kind of damaged from everyone trying to get it out.... What about taking off the oil pan, and moving it over a few inches so I can take a small hammer and take out the piece that's in the oil pan? I know there's not much room down there, is this possible?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

If I'm reading it right, it broke off right above where it goes into the block. If so, you should be able to use a pair of needle nose Vice Grips to straighten up the bulge thats still there and then get a better grip on it to use a wider pair and gently pull and twist it out. Its not that tight of a fit, it has an O ring on it so it should come out, good luck.

That definatly doesnt work. Think about it... from pulling on a 2 foot long object with all your stregth it broke off at the block. Theres no way you could generate even half of the torque you had with the vice grips as when it was a 2 foot long tube. Just punch whats still left in the block down into the oil pan and get it out like i said.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Darkcrime

Yeah, it is stuck right at the block... There's a little ring there but it's getting kind of damaged from everyone trying to get it out.... What about taking off the oil pan, and moving it over a few inches so I can take a small hammer and take out the piece that's in the oil pan? I know there's not much room down there, is this possible?

Not enough room.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Damn, that's what I thought, no room. Well, the guy that broke it should be coming over tonight to work on it, I just want to get my car gback together... Getting tired of not having a car (my winter car is being lent to my fiance's cousin).
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Just got done looking at the oil pan... DEFINATLY going to have to jack up the motor. I will probabally get to that tomorrow. I'm just fed up with this damn headswap it's unbelievable. I should get some decent gains from this when it's done, so I guess it's worth it for a $500 mod (ported/polished heads & 99 intake manifold)... I appreciate the help man... Any trick to get the new dipstick back in, or just force it in?

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick problem