4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a/c issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Industrialite

Default a/c issues

Got a 2000 gt that doesnt blow cold air. Thought maybe the system needed to be charged but it is full. While pressure testing, I could hear the compressor turning on and off every second or so! What gives? Any suggestion on why my air isnt cold?
Rex
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: a/c issues

Your may be low on freon. System may not be completely full. When the compressor starts, the pressure drops and the compressor is probly kicking off on low pressure. I`ve had this happen on other cars before and that was my solution. Watch the guage when the compressor starts and see how fast the pressure drops.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
00ModGT
2nd Gear Member

i actually had the same problem with my 2000 GT when it was a little over 2 years old. I turned on the A/C and couldnt believe that it didnt work in almost a new car. I took it to a dealer and got them to fill it up, the mechanic said the 0-rings didnt seal right and it was slowly leaking out over time . Its been filled for over 3 years now with no problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Industrialite

But when I connect the coolent guage, it states that it is full... Yes when the compressor kicks on, the pressure drops but it still reads in the green.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm in the same boat at the moment but mine is sporadic cooling. Works or doesn't work, no in between. I've got an 00 with just over 100K so I'm guessing the clutch is going out.

When the pressure drops as the compressor kicks on in your car, does it blow cold air?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Industrialite

The air is never really and has never been cold unless it is already cold outside.
See I live in Seattle, the car is a convertable, so I hardly use the air conditioning (weather is usually pretty cool) but I am moving to a warmer climate and want to get this issue resolved -- nothing like wearing shorts and sitting onto black leather seats that cooked in the sun
Thanks
Rex
Old 07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the compressor is cycling correctly, and not just powering on and powering off??

What about the condition of the rest of the system??

JT
Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Industrialite

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Are you sure the compressor is cycling correctly, and not just powering on and powering off??

What about the condition of the rest of the system??

JT
Honestly, I'm not sure. When the A/c is cranked and the doors open. I hear a loud click and see the belt tensioner, tens up and hear the moter rev-- all in one shot. Then a second later another click, the tensioner releases and the engine goes to idle. At the same time all this is happening, I see the pressure of the A/C system go from full to close to needing freon but always staying in the green. So I would assume that it is cycling on and off but again, I am not sure...

As far as the rest of the system goes, I get plenty of hot air-- so hot it could melt your leg hairs. The cooling system for the motor is fine as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Industrialite

bump
Old 07-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Apteryx

Can you read the high and low pressures in the system? If those are both good, you might want to check the high pressure switch to see if it's acting up. If it's bad, it could be sensing that there's too much/too little pressure and is shutting the compressor off. Same goes for the low pressure.

Quick Reply: a/c issues