4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cams & there differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams & there differences

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Yes, GT's redline at around 6000.. if you were to remove/change the rev limiter, and tried to shift at about 7000 rpms with stock internals and stage 2 or 3s, you could MAYBE do it once without your engine going *POOF*. Thats why you need forged internals.. they can withstand being revved to very high RPMs.
so before buying cams you have to get forged internals?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

No, that's not accurate.

You can buy Stage 1 from VTengines.com, Crower Stage 1s, Comp Cams 262AH (PI) or 262H (NPI). Stage 1s are designed to work on the stock motor. The power band is usually between 1500ish - 5600ish, very similar to stock cams. I've read that stage 1 cams with full exhaust and bolt ons is worth 30 hp or so. You don't need to buy springs with stage 1s, but unless the car is fairly young, I would recommend it. Some folks have swapped cams with the heads still mounted in the car using a cam tool. I think Anderson Ford Motorsports make it.

Search the net for articles on 4.6 cam installs.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

O/R H pipe, BBK 75mm TB and PL w/ intake spacer and MGW are commin this summer, the cams are for next summer! SO excited!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sebski

Guesstimating how much rwhp can be seen with Stage 1 cams?
i put vt stage 1s on with my headers at teh same time, and got about 45whp. Lost tq down low big time though, my tuner wasnt very good.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

ORIGINAL: Sebski

Guesstimating how much rwhp can be seen with Stage 1 cams?
i put vt stage 1s on with my headers at teh same time, and got about 45whp. Lost tq down low big time though, my tuner wasnt very good.
really... well with the cams i plan on gettin a SCT Xcal tuner... i dunno what that constitutes for but hopefully it will bennifit something... plus i need it, apparently running my shot of N2O isnt too good with out one, so im plannin on takin it down to a 75 shot till i get the tuner
Old 07-16-2006, 08:14 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Im curious... Lets just say for instance you ONLY wanted the cams for the rough idle. Stage 2's and 3's idle more rough than 1's, so if you upgraded the cams and the springs and were not intending on reving it beyound the limiter... As I said ONLY for sound... Would that work? Or are you still putting your engine at risk regardless?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

you just wouldnt get the max potential out of the cams.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:19 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok cool, thats all I wanted to know. So you would just get the sound, and you wouldn't really see all the potential from the cam, which if you don't care its not hurting anything anyway? Ok sounds good.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Ok cool, thats all I wanted to know. So you would just get the sound, and you wouldn't really see all the potential from the cam, which if you don't care its not hurting anything anyway? Ok sounds good.
you will lose some low end.. im thinkin of some stage 2 cams though, but i rev my engine up to 6500 which takes it alittle more into its rpm range.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:40 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Okay, I did some more research and here it is.

I believe all of these are PI cams, but only the Comp are for sure. Comp also offers NPI versions.

Crower stage 1 N/A: Stage 1 Excellent for stock replacement. No other modifications required. RPM Range: Idle to 5500+ on 4.6L, 5.4L will be lower.

Crower stage 2 N/A: Stage 2 Hot street profile. Emphasis on mid range. Spring Recommended. RPM range: 1250 to 6000+ on 4.6L, 5.4L will be lower.

Crower stage 3 N/A: Emphasis on top end power. Spring required. RPM range: 1750 to 6750+ on 4.6L, 5.4L will be lower.

VT Stage 1 N/A: No longer listed on vtengines.com

VT Stage 2 N/A: Stage 2 cams are the perfect choice for ported heads and all out N/A street/strip performance. MUST BE USED WITH AFTERMARKET VALVESPRINGS. Aggressive idle. 3000-6500 prm. Gains of 30-35rwhp are common. Like 3.73 gear or better and 2800+ stall in auto's. MUST BE TUNED AFTER INSTALL. .560/.575 lift, 225/235 .050" duration, 108 LSA

Comp Cams PI XE262AH 2V Cams: These cams feature radically new computer designed Xtreme Energy lobe profiles, engineered specifically for the Ford modular engine family. The cam profiles offer faster valve openings and more area under the curve to help promate a broad torque and horsepower RPM band. The modular Xtreme Energy cams are the most aggressive of all the engine families, which is made possible due to the unique design of the valve train of this engine. This unique valve train design allowed our cam design engineers to push the limits on valve train acceleration rates while still maintaining everyday driving reliability. The cams are ground on new steel billet cam cores designed by the COMP Cams engineering team. This unique design offers an Xtremely stable valve train when used with our COMP Cams (26113) valve springs. SOHC - Excellent torque. Better low and mid range torque with more power. Will work with stock computer. RPM operating range:1400-5400. .550/.550, 226/230 .050 dur, 113LSA

Comp Cams PI XE270AH 2V Cams: These cams feature radically new computer designed Xtreme Energy lobe profiles, engineered specifically for the Ford modular engine family. The cam profiles offer faster valve openings and more area under the curve to help promate a broad torque and horsepower RPM band. The modular Xtreme Energy cams are the most aggressive of all the engine families, which is made possible due to the unique design of the valve train of this engine. This unique valve train design allowed our cam design engineers to push the limits on valve train acceleration rates while still maintaining everyday driving reliability. The cams are ground on new steel billet cam cores designed by the COMP Cams engineering team. This unique design offers an Xtremely stable valve train when used with our COMP Cams (26113) valve springs. SOHC - Hot street cam, needs 3.55+ gears. 2000+ stall. Needs intake, exhaust and computer upgrade. Noticable idle. RPM operating range:1800-5800. .550/.550, 234/238 .050 dur, 113LSA

There are other cams on their site for S/C, turbo, and race only.

So, after reading all of this, it would seem the Comp 270s will work for a DD without pushing you beyond your stock rev limiter. I believe this may be what your searching for. Ebay them for less than $500 shipped.

Quick Reply: Cams & there differences