4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Head porting to the max

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
NYTMARE
2nd Gear Member

Default Head porting to the max

Well I've gone back and forth from getting a PI motor to doing the PI swap and now it's looking like I don't need a complete motor so I'm leaning towards doing just the PI swap. So here is my question, I want to get the VT stg. 1 cams, and port and polishing my heads (local shop) to the max but I'm new to the whole Mustang scene so I don't necessarily know what the "the max" is considered or if it's limited due to the cam specs. Detailed discriptions would be great. I'd like to do the same with the intake as well.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Head porting to the max

When porting heads you must realize that there is such a thing as too much. Enlarging the ports may make them flow better but you tend loose velocity which is where your torque comes from. This is yet another case of parts needing to be matched. When building engines for more hP you must always think of the big picture, no one part will majicly make your engine a hp monster, parts need to be selected to work together. My advice is avoid your local shop and send your heads to a shop that specialzes in porting 4.6 heads, Patriot comes to mind off the top of my head.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Head porting to the max

Remember if this guy is doing it by hand, chances are he wont be able to duplicate everything to the same exact spec. This will result in more air in a certain cylinder.

This is from fox lake racing's FAQ section.

Q: Why is the Fox Lake Stage 1 porting so expensive? Jimmy Noname down the road can port my heads for $250.

A: Because of the extensive research and development time Fox Lake invests into our porting programs we are confident that we have the best porting packages available today. There is no guesswork involved, and we don't just port heads until they "look" like they will flow properly. It is very common to have a ported head that looks great and simply doesn't work well. Many head porters that do heads by hand can't even come close to duplicating each port, which leads to very unequal flow numbers. Also, big flow numbers aren't the only aspect of a good cylinder head port job. By simply grinding away at a port might make big flow numbers, but will not always make horsepower and torque where you actually need it. Our porting packages are tailored to your needs, based on our extensive database of cylinder head flow techniques. Remember, a deal isn't a deal if the performance on the track isn't there!

If you're going to do something, do it right.