4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

maf position

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:50 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default maf position

does it make a diff if i turn my maf. the stock position is directlly on top like 12 oclock. ive seen pics where ppls position was like 2 oclock or so. does this change the way the maf reads the air? i hope i described that right.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:44 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: maf position

It can most certainly change the flow of the air hitting the meter. Really though with the screen still in it I don't see it making much of a difference. Are those people removing the screen and reclocking the MAF to keep from having drivability problems?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:16 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

im not sure. does the dense charger system keep the screen in? cause mine has the screen out. performance seems fine. i saw 2000GT 4.6 pics of his and he had it moved to the side a little. than i heard on another forum that it effects performance. just wondering whats up with that.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

yes the densecharger system keeps the screen with a stock mass air meter. with an aftermarket cai your not supposed use aftermarket maf's usually because they dont have a screen - and the sharp elbow that goes into the fenderwell creates alot of turbulance that throws off the meter reading - causing drivability problems (which leads to the big misconception that aftermarket mass air meters are not a good mod). the densecharger kit will work with a ProM mass air meter thats calibrated for the densecharger (its what comes with the denscharger / meter kit).
Old 06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

does anyone have any true facts about the maf and changing position. mine is in the stock position . but does anyone know if turning it to the side increases performance or decreases or messes anything up lol. thanks for the replys
Old 06-05-2004, 12:25 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Its not a distributor... turning it isnt going to do a thing for you I dont think. Makes no sense really. The air is only coming in one way and its shaped the same way all the way around!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:34 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Well the air would come in in a turbulant manner, thats why the screen is put there - to straighten the airflow so that the meter can get an accurate reading. My only guesses for moving it would be to either put the meter in a more stable location for running without the screen, or put the meter in a lower velosity position to lean out the a/f ratio - just speculation though I don't know for sure
Old 06-05-2004, 01:23 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

lets put it like this, does water flow a different way when you turn the pipe? Maybe you're right though, air may be heavier on one side!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:58 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Its not the weight of the air, its the turbulance created from the bend in the cai systems that cause problems with aftermarket maf's because they don't use a screen. The Densecharger kit locates the filter pointed down and the mass air meter in the 12 o'clock position so that when the air travels up the elbow and turns, the air that passes through the sensor wire will be smooth flowing
Old 06-05-2004, 02:01 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ok, I get it now. But in that case, turning it would in the end hurt you, huh?

Quick Reply: maf position