4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:07 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help

I got in the stang yesterday and the A/C quit on me. It was working fine on Friday and then Sat afternoon it stopped blowing cold air. The coolant level is fine and the car was still blowing air, it just would not cool the air. The heat was working fine as well. I checked under the car and found no loose hoses and everything appeared to be in order with no leaking fluids. Everything else was working fine and the engine itself was not having any overheating problems. I fear it may be the compressor since it was so sudden that it stopped but I am not sure. I know how to work on my car to a degree, but I am no master mechanic. What do I need to look for?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help

Check you AC hoses... if theyre leakin you should see fresh oil on em...
Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

no leakes at all on anything as far as I can see.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

When you turn the A/C on do you see the compressor clutch engage/disengage? If it was your compressor you would know from the loud noises it would make. Also check the compressor suction pressure, it should be around 25-40 psig.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:54 PM
ibeeskeef
2nd Gear Member

that is the thing. When you turn the AC on it doesn't make any unusual sounds at all. The air still blows out of the vents as usual and there is no unusual noise that I can hear. The air just never cools down. It is as if I just left it on vent and not AC and let the air blow.

Also, what do I need to use to check the suction pressure with?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

turn a/c on , look under hood to make sure compressor clutch is engaged , feel both a/c hoses , they should be cold . if high pressure side is not cold it's either the compressor or condenser. if high side is cold but low side is warm it is prbably the evaporator . feel the receiver dryer and make sure it is cold also .
Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like you either have a leak and all your coolant is gone, or that your compressor isnt engaging. It will still blow air from the vents because that is controlled from a blower motor separate from the a/c compressor.

You can test the compressor fairly easily, get someone to sit in the car while its running with the a/c off. Lift the hood and look at the a/c compressor. the belt should be spinning, but the clutch in the center should be stopped. Have the person in the car turn the ac on and see if the clutch in the center starts to spin. I dont think your compressor is burned up because they usually make some kind of god awful sounds or will lock up and burn the belt off. Probebly some kind of relay or electrical problem.

ETA: most mechanic shops will be able to test the coolant level, and you might call some local auto parts stores. Auto zone here has the equip to test the coolant.
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blstoff

turn a/c on , look under hood to make sure compressor clutch is engaged , feel both a/c hoses , they should be cold . if high pressure side is not cold it's either the compressor or condenser. if high side is cold but low side is warm it is prbably the evaporator . feel the receiver dryer and make sure it is cold also .
Great advice.... now hopin i can remember it in case i have AC problems in the future...
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

The high pressure side doesn't get cold til it exits the condenser. You can get a gauge to check pressure from AutoZone. You check the pressure at a connection on the passenger side of the engine.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:21 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

if you need to check pressure or fill w/ refrig., make sure it is the low pressure side you are working on .