4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Catback even worth it????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default Catback even worth it????

Is a catback even really worth it? I read an artical today in my friends MM&FF mag that showed a RWHP dyno increase of only 3 or 4 HP from a catback on a basically stock 03 cobra.

If it is only worth 2 or 3 RWHP, whats the point? I really like the way my car sounds now, and if it isnt gonna make an significant power difference, I am hesitant to get the catback and risk changing the way the car sounds.

My other problem is I really want to get a dyno/tune soon, aka as soon as possible, but if I get it tuned and then get the catback, wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of the custom tune, because the car changed? or is it such a small difference that there is nothing to worry about???

I am working on a bit of a limited budget atm (trying to fix up a house for sale) and if I get the catback now I will have to wait at least a few weeks before I can go get it tuned.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:36 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Catback even worth it????

yes, you definitly need a catback. you can't really judge a product that was tested on someone elses car. you can make a guesstament, but you will never know until its on your car with your setup.

get a catback!!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

if you plan on modding the car you need exhaust. some catbacks put out more power than others. some might even reduce power like caugh caugh flowmaster. catback on a stock car will not give you enormous power. but as u mod your car you will find out that the exhaust is gaining more power with everymod. your car is restricted stock so you will gain hp from a exhaust. but as you mod your engine more power is built up and that power or pressure needs to go some where if the exhaust is restricted that will hinder your power. exhaust is one of the best first mods. when moding your car its the combination of the right mods that are gonna give you your moneys worth .
Old 06-09-2004, 04:34 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

There's a link to a similar article on www.mustangexhaust.com. They dyno'ed stock, X and H pipes on an 01 Cobra, if I remember right. The article concludes that the aftermarket mid-pipes don't do much to a stock Mustang. It adds that the mid-pipes aren't where the most restriction can be found. If the mid-pipe swap was done in conjunction with a muffler swap, then the gains would be noticed.

So, taking both articles together, you could conclude that opening up the mid-pipes won't help much if the muffler/tailpipes are stock. Likewise, opening up the muffler/tailpipes won't help much if the mid-pipes are stock.

Can anyone with personal experience on this confirm or deny this?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Propeller is right. If you're going to change the cat-back, do yourself a huge favor and get an off-road X- or H-pipe, because you can't believe the difference in sound between the stock H-pipe and an aftermarket pipe with no cats until you hear it. I got a cat-back for my '96 and an O/R X-pipe at the same time, and it really opened up the exhaust note a lot. Because I have to smog pretty soon, I put the catted H-pipe back on with the aftermarket cat-back and the damn car sounds like it's stock again. My car has 6 cats stock, and they are extremely restrictive, so if you want a good noticeable sound, get a catless midpipe while you're at it. They're pretty cheap, anywhere from $150-$200.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Is a catback even really worth it? I read an artical today in my friends MM&FF mag that showed a RWHP dyno increase of only 3 or 4 HP from a catback on a basically stock 03 cobra.

If it is only worth 2 or 3 RWHP, whats the point? I really like the way my car sounds now, and if it isnt gonna make an significant power difference, I am hesitant to get the catback and risk changing the way the car sounds.

My other problem is I really want to get a dyno/tune soon, aka as soon as possible, but if I get it tuned and then get the catback, wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of the custom tune, because the car changed? or is it such a small difference that there is nothing to worry about???

I am working on a bit of a limited budget atm (trying to fix up a house for sale) and if I get the catback now I will have to wait at least a few weeks before I can go get it tuned.
Find me that article, MAGNAFLOW mufflers alone, from dyno sheets I've posted here, gained 20+RWHP, JUST Mufflers...
Old 06-10-2004, 07:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

It was in the latest MM&FF (muscle mustangs and fast fords) of a 03 cobra. I beileve they put the SLP kit on it (dont quote me though), and went from a 2.25 (stock?) to a 2.5 inch aftercat.

I absolutly do not beileve 20 RWHP is possible with mufflers, unless you are running some insanely boosted car. If the car was already making 500 HP on stock mufflers then maybe I can see it.

On a car modifed like mine I really do not expect to gain anything more than about 5 RWHP vs the mufflers only I am running now. Even with stock mufflers vs a aftercat I dont think it is going to make THAT much HP.

In any case, the general consensus is that an aftercat is nessicarry, so I guess I will plan on getting one before I get my tune. BTW if you read my sig, you can see I aready have both a mid pipe and LT headers.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
krs01gt
1st Gear Member

I added a Magnaflow catted x pipe and catback system to my 01 GT w/no other mods except a K&N filter. Before the exhaust it was 225rwhp after it was 239rwhp. I liked the increase and hopefully it will help the numbers on the future mods too
Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

those are realistic numbers there bro. ive seen dynos of flows that lost power. a 15 rwhp increase from just exhaust alone is pritty good. go magnaflow wide open