4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CUSTOM PREDATOR TUNE/ANYONE TRIED ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default CUSTOM PREDATOR TUNE/ANYONE TRIED ONE?

Has anyone tried a custom Predator tune or had their car tuned on the dyno and had that tune installed into the predator so you could load it into the ECU/PCM? My mods are not extensive but I feel the stock predator tune is very conservative to avoid any engine damage. I would think a tune produced with the help of a dyno would be the ultimate tune for your car at that time in it's mod additions, anyone tried that? I guess I am looking for HP additions to see if it would be worth the expense. Thanks, mark
Mod list would look like this:
1. 4.10's
2. Predator tune
3. PYPES catted X-pipe/catback
4. Steeda UDP's
5. JLT CAI
6. 75mm BBK TB/C&L plenum
Possible fuel mods like fuel pump upgrade or changing to 24# inj's. Thanks, mark
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CUSTOM PREDATOR TUNE/ANYONE TRIED ONE?

don't have a predator, hypertech............picked up 2 tenths
Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

i used the preadator tune. i advanced the timing to max, which i think is only about a degree. you can change for your gears and all that other good stuff (fan temp, etc.), but i would be careful if you're thinking about playing with the a/f ratio with out dyno. ive heard of some people gaining decent numbers using a dyno with the predator, i haven't been dynoed and haven't noticed too much of a change since i've installed my tune.

edit: i saw you have an auto, ive heard people say that playing around with the shift firmness, etc. can offer a noticeable difference, but you'd have to ask around.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: busterdon't have a predator, hypertech............picked up 2 tenths
.2 quicker than the canned tune that came with the hypertech? That's good. Do you know what was changed from the stock hypertech tune to the custom tune? I know/believe with Diablo that they send the tuner to one of their vendors who makes the actual changes. I like to know what is being done.
To guys with the Predator who have a custom tune did you give them a list of your mods and then they had a nearby vendor burn a new tune just for the mods you submited? Do they tell you what they are changing and by how much? I would like to get a custom tune but would also like more feedback! Thanks, Mark
Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 AM
WAG03GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

.2 quicker than the canned tune that came with the hypertech? That's good. Do you know what was changed from the stock hypertech tune to the custom tune? I know/believe with Diablo that they send the tuner to one of their vendors who makes the actual changes. I like to know what is being done.
To guys with the Predator who have a custom tune did you give them a list of your mods and then they had a nearby vendor burn a new tune just for the mods you submited? Do they tell you what they are changing and by how much? I would like to get a custom tune but would also like more feedback! Thanks, Mark
+1
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WAG03GT

ORIGINAL: sweet99

+1
+2
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I just recently bought the Predator, and I uploaded the Diablo Tune it came with into my car and noticed a bit of a difference. I'm going to advance the timing further, since I'm running 93 octane, and see what happens. As far as custom tunes, you can get a PC connection cable and a AC adaptor power soucrce that will allow you to plug the tuner into your PC and then you can give the list of mods to a vendor, who will then set up a custom tune and then email it to you. Using a program you can download from Diablosport's website you can then download that custom tune into the Predator, then upload it into your car. While this is good, a dyno tune will always be the best, but more expensive, I'm pretty sure.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Sorry, I don't know, but I do know that with the performance tune in the car absolutely drinks gas.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:03 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

I had my car tuned on the dyno with the predator at a very reputabile shop and gained 24 hp and 30 ftlbs. i had all the mods in my sig except for the short throw, flywheel and clutch in.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

Sorry, I don't know, but I do know that with the performance tune in the car absolutely drinks gas.
The tune shouldn't reduce your MPG much if you don't romp on the pedal all the time.

Quick Reply: CUSTOM PREDATOR TUNE/ANYONE TRIED ONE?