4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Octain Booster

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Default Octain Booster

Well I just put some octain booster in my car when I filled it up this morning. Then my mom drove the car while I was at school now it feels like crap, and she keeps telling me it the octain booster. Well when at a stop light you feel the car shake like every 5 seconds, and when driving it moves the rpms up about 100-200. I was wondering if you guys have had any simliar problems. Could it also be that it was 96000 miles. But they are easy miles had it since day one.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Octain Booster

Check your tires. Maybe your Mom was out doing dougnuts and messed something up.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Octane booster really doesn't give you any real power...just so you know. It takes 10 points of Octane booster to bring your octane up one number. For ex. if you fill up with 93 octane and you pour bosster in. You won't get anything over 94 octane. Now, Octane booster does have some additives in it and alcohol is one of them. You could either have bad gas or the octane booster loosened up some gunk in your fuel lines. I would run the tank down to 1/4 or little less and run injector cleaner with a fresh tank of premium fuel. Ohh, and after you do that, change your filter. 90 som-odd thousand miles you need to change your filter.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:32 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

DONT USE OCTAIN BOOSTER!!!! All the techs and racing guys say its crap and messes up ur engine. It has kerosine in it and kerosine is deisel fuel beleive it or not so all this "jet fuel" is a bunch of BS. You want real octaine booster then go to the hardware store and get 4 gallons of xylene. It will change your life. Just dont run ur car too hot haha!! Your car is probably freaking out becuase of the octain sensor.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:27 AM
damdanger
2nd Gear Member

whats the story on the super blue racing fuel, can we even run that?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targaOctane booster really doesn't give you any real power...just so you know. It takes 10 points of Octane booster to bring your octane up one number. For ex. if you fill up with 93 octane and you pour bosster in. You won't get anything over 94 octane. Now, Octane booster does have some additives in it and alcohol is one of them. You could either have bad gas or the octane booster loosened up some gunk in your fuel lines. I would run the tank down to 1/4 or little less and run injector cleaner with a fresh tank of premium fuel. Ohh, and after you do that, change your filter. 90 som-odd thousand miles you need to change your filter.
This is correct except for 2 products that I know of that actually raise the octane in full points. One is NOS and I believe they have a website but I am not positive what it is. The name of the other escapes my memory right now but when I find out I will try to post it.
As for the thread starter the octane booster could have something in it that may be cleaning your injectors and possibly clogging one or more with some crud. Take it for a higher rpm run and see if it cleans them out. With that many miles the Inj's are due for a professional clean. mark
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Sunoco has 100 octane gas, don't know if you can get that in all areas.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:22 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfanSunoco has 100 octane gas, don't know if you can get that in all areas.
I have it available to me. It runs over $5/gallon, was $5.25 last year. It works really well as I used it in a turbocharged Talon and was ablr to run 30psi on it. Too expensive though as the NOS octane booster is about $10. and is good for 20 gallons and as I said before it actually raises the octane of a tank like ours near the 100 octane point. Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Man a lot of you guys have the wrong idea bout octane booster and race fuel. The higher octane the slower it burns and the less of a chance it will detonate. Unless you have a tune for race fuel or running seriously high timing with lots of boost theres absoutely no need.

If you have a tune for 93 on your sct chips.... and you put 93 in, why would you want octane booster?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

DONT USE OCTAIN BOOSTER!!!! All the techs and racing guys say its crap and messes up ur engine. It has kerosine in it and kerosine is deisel fuel beleive it or not so all this "jet fuel" is a bunch of BS. You want real octaine booster then go to the hardware store and get 4 gallons of xylene. It will change your life. Just dont run ur car too hot haha!! Your car is probably freaking out becuase of the octain sensor.
very true i work at an airport as the fuel manager and if you get the msds on jet and octain booster its the same thing

Quick Reply: Octain Booster