4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI head swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:40 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default PI head swap

So, i got my heads out, and bolted the new ones on today. I am having acouple problems i was wondering if anyone could help with. For starters how do u time this thing with the cams and all? i read somthing about a special tool, is this true? Also the new intake manifold has only one sensor located on the front and the old one had two. Last but not least, the heater hose is in the way? which hose is that exactly and wat do i do to fix that?
thanks,
chris
Old 06-24-2004, 07:01 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PI head swap

If you got an '04 intake with the aluminum crossover (which you really should have) then it has a boss located behind the thermostat housing, and you have to drill and tap a hole for it. Otherwise, you can relocate the sensor to the block at one of the water passages.

About the heater hose, a new hose is included in a complete head swap kit, so you'll have to get a new one for a PI 4.6 engine.

Here's an article that details the whole process.
http://www.bossracing.net/Tech%20Art...ap%20page1.htm
Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

thanks alot, i got the hose and am going to relocate that sensor, now all im have truble with is timing!
Old 06-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=32

This will help....make sure that you double check before you put on the timing cover........also rember that the shiny parts on the crankshaft cam gears face each other (giving the chains some clearance)!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:10 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

thanks alot for all the help. man, so many stupid problems come up during this process, i took the old heads out with the exhaust manifolds on and disconnected from the x-pipe and wen i put the new heads on w/ the manifolds on, it wedged the passenger side of my x-pipe so that i can not even get it to fit together! i dont know wat to do, cuz im not about to take the manifold off or remove the heads. also the cam covers have more bolts than the previous covers and also seem to be longer so i had to double up on washers. and the new heads dont accept the old timing cover bolts, and i have no idea where to get these, ford said they didnt sell them. will a hardware be able to match those? also that sensor that has to be reloacted, im jus wondering if i can wire it into the other sensor? i think thats all i can come up with, but its given me a hell of a time.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

dude just unbolt the x pipe.(like from the catbacks) and play with it untill it comes out.

Are you talking about the valve covers???? if you are then you need to buy new ones. Becasue you have romeo covers and widsor heads....or vis versa. THey will cost around 50 bucks. Try to get them from a junk yard. (didnt really understand what you were saying.)

I'm not sure what years come with which model heads but i will try and find an article for u ......try a search on google also.

*EDIT the heads should except the timing cover bolts. Mine had no problem going in. Maybe your trying the wrong ones.........[&:]*
Old 06-28-2004, 04:18 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

I tried unbolting it and that didnt work so i let my dad go to work on it, and an hour later many big metal pipes and bars, accompanied by acouple beers he had it together for me!

I have the correct valve covers but, the new ones have I think its 14 bolts and the old ones have only 10, and those are the only bolts I have. And the old covers use a rubber type washer i guess you could say, and those dont work on the new covers so i used metal washers.

If u take a look at the link usa muscle posted it says the bolts from the top of the front cover that go into the heads are different. The new ones are larger and i believe they are course thread. Im going to make a trip to the hardware store pick up some bolts and try that out.

After all this work, i really hope these heads make the job worthwhile. You did the job right monty? Wuld u say it was worth it?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

IT IS DEFAINTLY WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!

The second day I had it together I think i wasted a half a tank in 20 mintues....I floored it everywhere!

It is diffantly a NOTICEABLE gain. Nothing like a penlum or T/b where you can't feel anything! You notice this the second you touch the gas! Plus I still have'nt had a tune so I can only imagine!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:43 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

awesome i cant wait, so are u able to keep up w/ camaros and trans ams now or how do u compare to that?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

To tell you the truth the only ppl I have raced has been my lil bro and a friend with a 96 stang also had the pi plus a bunch of other stuff

I dusted my bro 5 lengths to a 100mph(04 single cab STX 4.6l). And the guy in the other stang beat me by about 2 lengths....But he has full out exhuast and intake. (All i have is tha swap...otha than that I am stock).

This won't let us beat LS1 cars but we should be able to mess with LT1's all day.

Quick Reply: PI head swap