4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What's the best programmer for 96-97 GT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default What's the best programmer for 96-97 GT's

I would like to pick up a programmer/chip, but the only one I can really find for my 97GT is a Hypertech power programmer for $289 shipped. They don't have a diablo sport as far as I have seen and I don't want a Superchips as I heard many people complain about actually losing power with them. I'm sure they gain in other areas though, but your help would be great. Things I have:

O/R X-pipe no cats mil's
40 series flows out the back
75mm T/B -Plenum
Forced air induction-custom fabbed with K&N
180* thermostat
80mm mass air for 19lb. - this is why I need a programmer
3:27 factory ordered gears
Other than that I'm pretty stock as far as engine mods!

Thanks for your help guys
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What's the best programmer for 96-97 GT's

SCT?

SCT and superchips are a different company you know. I always thought that SCT was just "superchips custom tuning" but from what the internet sites say and look like they are not.

I would not expect to pick up much if any power from a handheld tune (or any type of tune) at this point though. Espcially with a NPI car, the intake boltons are nearly useless until you add some sort of FI or do engine work.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:46 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

SCT?

SCT and superchips are a different company you know. I always thought that SCT was just "superchips custom tuning" but from what the internet sites say and look like they are not.

I would not expect to pick up much if any power from a handheld tune (or any type of tune) at this point though. Espcially with a NPI car, the intake boltons are nearly useless until you add some sort of FI or do engine work.

I actually got a bit of power out of my ram air set-up on highway speeds and on hot days along with the 180*. Also the T/B and plenum set-up is actually stock, but I bored out the throttle body as much as possible without losing the seal around the butterfly and the plenum I smoothed out the ridges and polished the sh.t out of it. They together made a big difference as far as throttle response. I actually have a hard time keeping my foot steady going about 5-10mph in 1st gear. The car just wants to lunge forward all the time. The car actually runs really well considering the stock motor. I did run a 2000GT and stayed right by his side the whole way! O.K he had a half a car on me but we never left each others side.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

SCT?

I actually got a bit of power out of my ram air set-up on highway speeds and on hot days along with the 180*. Also the T/B and plenum set-up is actually stock, but I bored out the throttle body as much as possible without losing the seal around the butterfly and the plenum I smoothed out the ridges and polished the sh.t out of it. They together made a big difference as far as throttle response. I actually have a hard time keeping my foot steady going about 5-10mph in 1st gear. The car just wants to lunge forward all the time. The car actually runs really well considering the stock motor. I did run a 2000GT and stayed right by his side the whole way! O.K he had a half a car on me but we never left each others side.
I think ya raced a bad driver. Even with your mods, a PI gt should be walking ya pretty hard. I have seen a couple full exhaust NPI GTs going down to paper filter stock PI cars.

I can't say from personal experence, but I have seen a couple dynos of NPI GTs with intake boltons, and the results were pretty bad. Regardless, I am doubting you have thrown your A/F ratio off enough that a tuner is gonna make a huge difference a/f wise.

I had a diablo chip on my car when it was at full boltons, and it was acutally costing me power. Honestly I don't think anyone really gets any results out of the handheld programmers, but they think they do because they are so excited to get a new mod.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

It was a bone stock auto GT. I don't know how you can be a bad driver with an automatic? You just mash the gas to the floor plain and simple! As a matter of fact I actuall started to pull on him in 3rd but as soon as I hit 85-90 he was up past me.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

SCT?

I think SCT is the rebirth of Superchips...better productsand new facility required a new name?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

SCT?

I think SCT is the rebirth of Superchips...better productsand new facility required a new name?
It says...........Superchips Custom Tuning & SCT are a registered trademark of Superchips Custom Tuning LLC
Old 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
BigTurbo6
2nd Gear Member

I need to know if and which is worth getting also for my 98 GT. Im getting a check engine light and hate not knowing what it is. Also if i can nab a few horses in the process that'd be cool.