MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Cat Back System - What adds power? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/17755-cat-back-system-what-adds-power.html)

Yelloh 03 GT 07-05-2004 08:56 PM

Cat Back System - What adds power?

I am interested in replacing the exhaust system on my 03 GT. I am interested in making a change for both a louder exhaust note and a little more power. I've looked at both complete kits including new tailpipes, etc and I've also looked at just replacing the mufflers.

I have pretty much decided on Flowmaster whichever way I go. But I ASSume that the increase in power comes from better flowing mufflers, and so long as you dont change the tailpipe ID (are the stock pieces 2.5"?) the tailpipes dont figure into the equation. Is this correct? The tailpipes are in good shape, I have the trusty sawzall to remove the stock units. Any reason not to just replace the mufflers?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

mdvaldosta 07-05-2004 09:05 PM

RE: Cat Back System - What adds power?

Stock size is 2 1/4. If you intend to go with Flowmasters and don't intend to replace the mid-pipe in the future - then by all means I'd just weld in your choice of mufflers - since a larger diamater piping from the cats back will give you minimal gains anyways. But... if you plan on replacing your mid-pipe down the road - then replace the whole cat-back to maximize your gains.

04mustang 07-05-2004 09:11 PM

yeah what that guy said.

Mach1 07-06-2004 02:37 AM

Why dont you get a mid pipe first? THatll give ya more power and keep some low end tq. Ford put 4 cats on the stang, I mean the first like 4 feet of piping after the manifold is cats, so taking a couple off wil really help.

USAMuscle 07-06-2004 04:03 AM

Most cat-back systems are mandrel bent tubing so they don't have kinks and stuff like that, and the stock pipes where they bend above the axle are pretty small in diameter, and with a cat-back you'll get a true 2.5" pipe throughout. For me that's reason enough to get a cat-back. You can also get a kit with chrome pipes which would look a lot better than the stock pipes.

jdaniel 07-06-2004 04:09 AM

Nah! Get Stainless Steel. Chrome looks good for a week but eventually you get heat marks all over them and it starts to look terrible. Thats my opinion anyways. Stainless steel will last a LIFETIME!

AirForce2004 07-06-2004 05:03 AM

Get headers first :D Then mid-pipes... 2 cats or off-road. Then get cat-back :D I have an article saying the headers on a stock GT are worthless and actualy steal power away.

Mach1 07-06-2004 05:40 AM

Well the only headers worth getting are long tube, and then you have to buy the mid pipe.

propellerhead 07-06-2004 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AirForce2004

Get headers first :D Then mid-pipes... 2 cats or off-road. Then get cat-back :D I have an article saying the headers on a stock GT are worthless and actualy steal power away.
I'm going the other way. I just got the catback, then I was planning on getting the mid-pipe next. But if I go with long tube headers, I'll have to get the headers and mid-pipe at the same time.

callmecobra 07-06-2004 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: 04mustang

yeah what that guy said.
post whore