4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cat Back System - What adds power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Yelloh 03 GT

Default Cat Back System - What adds power?

I am interested in replacing the exhaust system on my 03 GT. I am interested in making a change for both a louder exhaust note and a little more power. I've looked at both complete kits including new tailpipes, etc and I've also looked at just replacing the mufflers.

I have pretty much decided on Flowmaster whichever way I go. But I ASSume that the increase in power comes from better flowing mufflers, and so long as you dont change the tailpipe ID (are the stock pieces 2.5"?) the tailpipes dont figure into the equation. Is this correct? The tailpipes are in good shape, I have the trusty sawzall to remove the stock units. Any reason not to just replace the mufflers?

Thanks for your input.

Greg
Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cat Back System - What adds power?

Stock size is 2 1/4. If you intend to go with Flowmasters and don't intend to replace the mid-pipe in the future - then by all means I'd just weld in your choice of mufflers - since a larger diamater piping from the cats back will give you minimal gains anyways. But... if you plan on replacing your mid-pipe down the road - then replace the whole cat-back to maximize your gains.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

yeah what that guy said.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:37 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Why dont you get a mid pipe first? THatll give ya more power and keep some low end tq. Ford put 4 cats on the stang, I mean the first like 4 feet of piping after the manifold is cats, so taking a couple off wil really help.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:03 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Most cat-back systems are mandrel bent tubing so they don't have kinks and stuff like that, and the stock pipes where they bend above the axle are pretty small in diameter, and with a cat-back you'll get a true 2.5" pipe throughout. For me that's reason enough to get a cat-back. You can also get a kit with chrome pipes which would look a lot better than the stock pipes.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Nah! Get Stainless Steel. Chrome looks good for a week but eventually you get heat marks all over them and it starts to look terrible. Thats my opinion anyways. Stainless steel will last a LIFETIME!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:03 AM
AirForce2004
2nd Gear Member

Get headers first Then mid-pipes... 2 cats or off-road. Then get cat-back I have an article saying the headers on a stock GT are worthless and actualy steal power away.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Well the only headers worth getting are long tube, and then you have to buy the mid pipe.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:42 PM
propellerhead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AirForce2004

Get headers first Then mid-pipes... 2 cats or off-road. Then get cat-back I have an article saying the headers on a stock GT are worthless and actualy steal power away.
I'm going the other way. I just got the catback, then I was planning on getting the mid-pipe next. But if I go with long tube headers, I'll have to get the headers and mid-pipe at the same time.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:59 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04mustang

yeah what that guy said.
post *****

Quick Reply: Cat Back System - What adds power?