4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TRANS PROBLEMS NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default TRANS PROBLEMS NEED HELP

ok, so i was drivin and i missed third and it jammed in there and all of a sudden i have no third gear, it slides in and out of 3rd and 4th really easy, 1st and 2nd you have to jam in, but see wen i put it in first and let the clutch out it just dies. also i start it and let the clutch out wen its in nuetrall it dies too. i have no idea wat to do, please help!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:10 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: TRANS PROBLEMS NEED HELP

your sh*ts toast dude, time to pull it.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:37 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

are you seriuos? u think ill need a new trans???? you dont think it culd be syncros???
Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

how wuld i go about getin a trans? i mean new is too expensive does anyone no were to get a cheaper trans or rebuild????
Old 07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
skylark494
1st Gear Member

Toaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasted brother. Or its possisble that you damaged the shift linkage. Check it out if OK then you may have damage the main drive gear or the bearing.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:17 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

well i took off the shift boot and the shifter and all that, and i have absolutely no clue wat im lookn at, but i can see the h pattern and the thing that the ball on the end of the shifter goes into, wat wuld i do next???
Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Just make sure the ball is in the small cup and look up at the whole linkage for damage and if there is none then its the tranny its self!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
skylark494
1st Gear Member

OK check the pivot point for damage. Shouldn't be able to move it with your fingers. Wish I could see it to help out more.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:34 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

is the pivot point the part that the ball goes into? cuz if it is, my fingers can move it
Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 AM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Hey bro, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can tell you EXACTLY what your problem is. You busted the 3-4 shift gate, so your transmission is stuck in 3rd gear, which is why it dies when you let out the clutch or try to shift into another gear, because you're engaging 2 gears at once. What the shift gate does is connect the shift rod to the shift fork, so the reason the shifter moves freely between 3rd and 4th gear is because you're only moving the shift rod because it's no longer connected to the shift fork, and there's no way to get it out. You gotta pull it and have it torn down and have that part replaced. No other way around it. Trust me bro, I know...I did the exact same thing to the 1-2 shift gate in my transmission awhile ago, and I had the exact same problems you are having.

While you have it out and torn apart, you may as well replace the synchros and bearings with stronger aftermarket parts. Sorry to hear about your misfortune man, I know it's a total bitch, but like they say, all lessons learned. You can't bang gears like that with your stock shifter. You need an aftermarket unit with positive stops so you can't overshift and bend a fork or bust a shift gate like you did. Hope it works out for you bud. Good luck!

Quick Reply: TRANS PROBLEMS NEED HELP