4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

X-pipe H-pipe blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:47 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default X-pipe H-pipe blues

I know this thread belongs in the "pipes boost & juice" section", and it's posted there, but this section gets a lot more hits, so...

OK now it's my turn to add to the billion and one X-pipe VS H-pipe threads.

Anyway here's the deal. For awhile I've had a BBK X-pipe on my car with Flowmasters, and I really like the sound. At WOT it sounds just rude, like it wants to tear your ***** off. The Flowmaster tone is really pronounced with the X-pipe, and I really like the way Flows sound on Mustangs, so it's music to my ears. Recently I bought a MAC off-road H-pipe because I got a really good deal (brand new HTS coated for $81). Everybody who knows them knows H-pipes have a deeper sound to them, and are supposed to sound more muscular than an X-pipe. Well I installed the H-pipe on my car today, and aside from the exhaust leak at the passenger side manifold (stupid ****ing gasket) I'm really not impressed with the sound quality. It actually sounds a little more quiet, and although the sound is deeper, the quality kinda sucks. I don't know how much the exhaust leak is affecting the sound, but I'm curious if anybody has had personal experience switching between an X-pipe and an H-pipe, and what they thought about the difference in sound. I was really hoping for a deeper more ballsy sound, but it sounds kinda funky...anyway any input is appreciated.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:22 AM
BLKsteeda

Default RE: X-pipe H-pipe blues

I had an O/R H pipe on my 01 and swithched to a Bassani O/R X and I definitely prefer the X.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

My advise, sell it to somebody, and buy a pro-chamber. You will be happy then.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:52 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

I've driven with the MAC off-road H for about a day now, and I'm just tired of it. I'm going to put the X back on. The MAC won't seal for **** at the exhaust manifold, and the fit really isn't that great. The exhaust hangers don't line up, and it pulls the driver side muffler in and up, so it just looks weird. I guess I'm one of the few people who prefers the sound of the X-pipe. It sounds really nice with the Flowmaster cat-back.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

You should get a vid or a sound clip of your car so we can hear what it sounds like with the flows and X-pipe.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

if you can get it to seal (try the copper rtv stuff) stick with the h-pipe for a bit longer. if the part is brand new it does take a bit for it to "settle." it took a few hundred miles on my x-pipe for it to open up. I was dissapointed when i first got it on but it became a bit deeper/louder after the first week.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I had a small leak at the manifolds on mine and I bought some muffler sealant and slaped some on there and let it sit all night and no more leaky. Problem solved.