4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

about to install gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:02 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default about to install gauges

I just got my reverse glow gauges in the mail and I'm about to install them. Is it fairly difficult? People say I do not need to remove the needles? How long does it take generally for someone with not too much experience? And will my readings still be accurate on all the gauges, I have 4.10 gears with a speedcal. Any other information would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:10 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: about to install gauges

Yea if its an overlay then you do not have to remove the needles. It took me about 30 mins the first time, its tedius work. You have to be super delicate when moving the overlway around the needles. Do NOT remove them if you dont have to, cause if you install them back not exactly in the correct position, the gauges will be off. Just be delicate, take your time.

How I did was to work one side of the overlay at a time. I worked the left side first, then moved it around until the right side was on. Just be careful and mind all of the needles because I wasnt paying attention to one side of the guages and I almost broke 2 needles on the right. Just work one side at a time. Good luck man
Old 09-30-2006, 06:53 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks, wow I'm still trying to remove the stupid head light ****, I've grinded a nail down to a finer point for a better grip, but can anyone please tell me how the headlight **** comes off? It says to pull it toward to drivers side door, I'm doing everything I can do pull it, I've pulled it everyway, and the **** is still stuck... any advice?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:56 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

The instructions on mustangtuning.com say to take a nail bent at a 90 degree angle and put it into the slot on the headlight **** which is turned counterclockwise to pull the little clip and to pull the **** out. and I just cannot get it to come off.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

OK pull the **** all the way out. Then turn it until u see where it connects, in the grove there is a little clip looks like a triangle. Press either down or up on the little traingly looking clip and itll release the ****. I dont remember if its down or up but one of those will release it. You dont even need a nail, I used the tip of small needle nose pliers or a small flathead screwdriver.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

you should take pictures or make a diagram of where all of your needls are during all the differnet modes just incase you acadentaly move one of the needles.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

alrighty, I've already installed it all, after an hour of not getting that headlight **** clip thingy to work, I decided to just hacksaw off the whole ****, and get a new one. Turns out my clip was a little messed up, it scored the metal and was stuck completely. But I got it all worked out and they look sweet, except for one thing: the odometer/trip meter is all blurry because the overlay, its kinda annoying.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:19 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

lol u cut it...

screw the little weener nail...pull the MF off!! thats what i did!!

try not to do it a whole lot...not ment for yanking!

gj on install though.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

thanks lol, yea I just said F*** that S***. I guess I can get a new **** from a ford dealer parts department for a few bucks.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

lol but u cut it...[:'(]

did you try pulling on it?? forget twisting...im talking pull!!

im also starting to like this site:
(i did a search for you...)
latemodelrestoration.com

its got billet ***** if you want...why? i dont know, but they're in there too!

sorry to hear about the ****, not sure on why its not glowing in some spots, i've never put gauges in...i've heard to stay away from them(...needles)

Quick Reply: about to install gauges