4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

legal or illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default legal or illegal?

ok, so i cant decide, O/R or catted mac prochamber? i really would like to do the O/R Setup..... but im worried about 2 things.
1. the po po giving me **** for loud exhaust and trying to pass emmisions every year
2. loss of torque due to loss of backpressure (which is the performance gains you really feel)

the catted is soo much more expensive, and i was wondering how much of a difference there would be between the two?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: legal or illegal?

You better tell everyone what state youre in, cuz if its california it's probably a felony to change the muffler...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you have inspections every year, it'd be a good idea to get the catted pipe. They use mirrors up here to take a look under your car.

I don't have the inspections, but will be getting a catted H-pipe sometime in the near future. You are correct in wanting to keep some backpressure. I've had vehicles with too-big exhaust, and the loss of throttle response is mind-boggling.[:'(]
Old 10-03-2006, 02:35 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

If you have inspections every year, it'd be a good idea to get the catted pipe. They use mirrors up here to take a look under your car.

I don't have the inspections, but will be getting a catted H-pipe sometime in the near future. You are correct in wanting to keep some backpressure. I've had vehicles with too-big exhaust, and the loss of throttle response is mind-boggling.[:'(]
im from TX, the state troopers can be a biach sometimes, and ive heard O/R stangs and Z28s before and it makes me happy every time i hear it

mabye code can help us out on this.... hes from tx
Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

You might want to do a search on here about backpressure. You are wrong about losing backpressure. The ideal exhaust system will have no backpressure but still have high flowing exhaust. To big of pipes in your system will cause the flow to slow down and cause backpressure which is why you feel a loss in power.

To answer the original question, if you have to get tested every year then get the catted H pipe if not then get the O/R pipe.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:08 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

its kinda messed up how cops come after us with our exhausts but yet a harley davidson will drown out anything we drive and their legal?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Tellowman24
2nd Gear Member

your still prolly gonna have to run MIL's with the catted system, and the cats will have to be hot before inspection
Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

NO MILS if you go with a catted high flow midpipe

however, if you have inspection every year, catted is your best bet

as for the loss in performance,,
i got my catback and o/r H at the same time, im not even sure I felt anything anywhere in the rpms
Old 10-03-2006, 04:02 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ironh19

its kinda messed up how cops come after us with our exhausts but yet a harley davidson will drown out anything we drive and their legal?
They have very limited restrictions. They don't have to worry about emissions for one. Just a different class of vehicle. I do agree though, I'm tired of being deafened by harley riders cruising next to me when I have the windows down and they decide it would be cool to take off.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Running O/R X pipe on my car right now and im from Cali, I welded on some fake cats so if I do get pulled over and the cop want to check my pipes he will be able to see cats.

As for Smog testing just keep your stock H pipe and bolt it up come smog.

Quick Reply: legal or illegal?