4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Midpipe to Get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
jon6113

Default What Midpipe to Get?

I have a Bassani Cat-Back currently with the stock mid-pipe and headers. It has an amazing sound. Very deep like the way a muscle car should sound. My question is what midpipe should I get to go with my Bassani cat-back. I live in California, so unfortunately any midpipe I get will need to be 50-state legal (not going to do the swapping in-and-out thing every 2 years). Anyone have any suggestions who is familiar with this setup?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What Midpipe to Get?

mustangexhaust.com is a great place to start.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Noone ever looks on the second page anymore

4.6 Exhaust Soundclips
Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
s4697
1st Gear Member

if u want a deep muscle car sound go H-pipe if u want loudness go x-pipe. btw x has better flow too. i love my x-pipe. i just need a cat-back now.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 PM
BmX
1st Gear Member

Sadly, if you want to go 50 state legal.. that means keep the STOCK Hpipe on at all times. [:@]

Even though running 2 hi flow cats is better than running 0 cats its still illegal, but no1 really cares. In cally they might care if you run an aftermarket Midpipe so you'll have to find out from some other stang owner in your area. '

Anyways, i recommend you get the MRT Catted Hpipe! Stainless steel and the best out there, but its pricey.. $500+
Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BmX

Sadly, if you want to go 50 state legal.. that means keep the STOCK Hpipe on at all times. [:@]

Even though running 2 hi flow cats is better than running 0 cats its still illegal, but no1 really cares. In cally they might care if you run an aftermarket Midpipe so you'll have to find out from some other stang owner in your area. '

Anyways, i recommend you get the MRT Catted Hpipe! Stainless steel and the best out there, but its pricey.. $500+
Um, it's illegal to remove a working catalytic converter(s). If yours are bad or damaged by hitting a speed bump at 60mph, then it is perfectly legal to replace the cats. The only state that throw a fit is CA. If the cat has a CARB number, then they will accept it as a replacement. The only other stipulation is being able to pass the sniffer in those states which require it.

Check out www.completeexhaust.com. If you CALL them and tell them you're a MF member, they give discounts. I purchased my entire stainless steel mid pipe and cat back for $765 delivered. I think you can get the Magnaflow catted X for about $350. I think Magnaflow makes H pipes also, but cant' say for sure. Ask them if you call.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
BmX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

ORIGINAL: BmX

Um, it's illegal to remove a working catalytic converter(s). If yours are bad or damaged by hitting a speed bump at 60mph, then it is perfectly legal to replace the cats. The only state that throw a fit is CA. If the cat has a CARB number, then they will accept it as a replacement. The only other stipulation is being able to pass the sniffer in those states which require it.

Check out www.completeexhaust.com. If you CALL them and tell them you're a MF member, they give discounts. I purchased my entire stainless steel mid pipe and cat back for $765 delivered. I think you can get the Magnaflow catted X for about $350. I think Magnaflow makes H pipes also, but cant' say for sure. Ask them if you call.
He lives in California which sucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

+1 on the catted MRT h pipe

other wise catted bassani x. Get us some sound clips of your car too, I love bassanis sound!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
35th99gt
1st Gear Member

I have a BBK x pipe o/r and i love it.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
s4697
1st Gear Member

my cats passed inspecting and emmisions +1 on the sniffer. i live in DE but not sure on the regulations for calif

Quick Reply: What Midpipe to Get?