4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dynoed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dynoed

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

I'd say the dyno wasn't configured correctly. No way you are making 255 RWHP with just a o/r mid-pipe & catback.

Find another dyno.
+1
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 AM
ilbehaved
1st Gear Member

seems like alot of 03-04 gt's dyno higher on average than the other 99+ cars. mine also dynoed high and its an 03 and one of my friends has an 04 and it also dynos high compared to some earlier 99+ cars in the area. rumors abound about different changes in these 2 year models but who knows and i dont care what the reason is im just happy that my car seems to be one of the "factory freak cars".
Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 AM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

i dynoed at 275whp and 300ft lbs tq with no tune at all. tahts with bbk lts, o/r h-pipe, flows, intake, and stage 1 cams
Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ibeeskeef

I dyno'd 250 RWHP and 296 TQ on my car without squeezing the bottle, and this was with a nitrous tune still in place. All I had done was full exhaust and a K&N. I then ran 297 RWHP and 376 TQ with a wet 75 shot and a very safe tune. I don't see the problems with those numbers.
You had full exhaust.

He has a mid-pipe and a 2hp adding cat-back.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The best way I can sum it up is like this...

His car made 254RWHP on a Dyno today, with just a mid-pipe & cat-back + K&N. There's no arguing the dyno printed out those numbers.

However, take another stock 99+ GT, put a mid-pipe & cat-back with a k&n, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't see 1rwhp over 240RWHP, being very generous.

If those 2 mods actually added 30hp over stock, it'd be the best bang for your buck modification available for that car aside from a power adder. I could understand his car making 250ish RWHP with LT's, mid-pipe & catback with a k&n, leaving all the tb/plenum/udp's/timing/tune to get it up to 275RWHP (about the most itll make without cams and an agressive tune). It doesn't make sense to me, it doesn't fit in place with people I know locally that have been to the dyno, doesn't make sense with my previous experience with my GT and it's definitely throwing up red flags with experienced people here... The biggest "WTF" of the deal is his lean condition, a 'bordering on lean' condition will make the most hp, but he's VERY lean and should be severely down on power, yet his sheets still read out 254RWHP. I don't know, when I put it all together with the information I have infront of me, the numbers appear to be inflated.

Get that car on a properly loaded Mustang Dyno and it'll put out the numbers it's really putting down to the pavement.

I'm not calling BS, he posted the sheets.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:50 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Your car doesn't make 255RWHP with a O/R Mid-pipe & Catback/K&N. Do you have more mods we don't know about?

01 with an x-pipe only made the same numbers as a catback only 99? That right there proves something wasn't right with the dyno. The factory cat-back isn't very restrictive. It's all in the manifolds & mid-pipe.

A mid-pipe only car will make more HP than a cat-back only car.

This will just turn into a pissing match. Several people here have TB/Plenum, mid-pipe, catback, CAI and a tune & make less hp than you. If you're car is running lean, that means there is more HP to be found, so with a tune you'd easily get up over the 260RWHP mark atleast...with just a mid-pipe, catback and k&n. I don't know, sure doesn't make any sense to me. I'd find another dyno. Those numbers aren't right.
+1

With full exhaust, all the intake boltons, u/d pulleys, and a a/f ratio of about 13.4:1, my car made 256 WHP and 300 RWTQ. With cams and a tune (not a good one though) I made 280/292 (lost TQ due to bad tune down low).

Even with a perfect tune, there is no chance a 2v GT with a midpipe and catback will make 25x WHP on a accurate dynojet. The fact that you showed a 18:1 a/f ratio is even worse.

For context here, I got a bad tune from a shop when the car was at the 256 WHP number that put the a/f ratio around 16:1. The car made 225 WHP and I forget the TQ with that tune. At 18:1 the car should be extremely hot every time you shut it off (mine sure was) and would run like total ***. Even with your midpipe and catback, I can't even see you making 225-230 WHP (stock numbers in other words) with a a/f ratio like that.

Get another dyno and see what happens. It is not at all uncommon for a shop to skew the results. Just because it was accurate for one car doesn't mean something didn't screw up on your run.

BTW, a a/f ratio of 18:1 is extremely lean. If that is the case, you need another dyno anyway with a tune to fix your a/f ratio. I doubt your car is acutally at 18:1, but if it is there is a ton of power on the table.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:03 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

Cars are not going to run consistent with factory numbers, some are going to run higher some are going to run lower. Ford did alot of tuning inbetween 99-04 and especially in mid 01, 03, and again in 04. I'm not saying that my dyno numbers arnt high, the guy running the dyno even said my numbers were high, and I know my car should not be running as lean as it is but I dont have the money to get it tuned right now. Even if this dyno was off, which is possible but not likely seeing how a couple of the other guys had dyno graphs from another dyno and there numbers on this dyno were consistent, the dyno should be off by more than 5-10 hp, these guys use this dyno to dyno there race cars, they cant afford to not have their dyno calibrated correctly. Just to let you guy know my car club is Purdue Automotive Performance Association, and about 80% of the guys in the club are ME majors specofying in automotive engineering, so if the numbers on the dyno were off by that much someone would have caught on.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: korn253

Cars are not going to run consistent with factory numbers, some are going to run higher some are going to run lower. Ford did alot of tuning inbetween 99-04 and especially in mid 01, 03, and again in 04. I'm not saying that my dyno numbers arnt high, the guy running the dyno even said my numbers were high, and I know my car should not be running as lean as it is but I dont have the money to get it tuned right now. Even if this dyno was off, which is possible but not likely seeing how a couple of the other guys had dyno graphs from another dyno and there numbers on this dyno were consistent, the dyno should be off by more than 5-10 hp, these guys use this dyno to dyno there race cars, they cant afford to not have their dyno calibrated correctly. Just to let you guy know my car club is Purdue Automotive Performance Association, and about 80% of the guys in the club are ME majors specofying in automotive engineering, so if the numbers on the dyno were off by that much someone would have caught on.
There is no chance that "tuning" or any of the other minor changes over the years could result in the power differences you are talking about. ALL of the 4.6L PI GT cars with 5spds will make between 220 and 230 WHP.

Basically what you are saying is that with a completely horrible A/F ratio your car is making as much power as my car was with every availible bolton and a fairly decent a/f ratio. This is simply not possible, not to mention that IF you acutally had a a/f ratio of 18:1, there would be another 20-30 horsepower in the car.

Dynos are quite often off way more than 10 or even 20 horsepower. Shops will do this on purpose because people will go back because they think the results are so good.

Listen. Nobody is trying to **** you off or call you a liar. The plain and simple truth is that your car simply cannot make that power level, and you cannot have that a/f ratio. A a/f ratio of 18:1 would be causing massive detonation (ping) and the car would run like absolute ***.

If they are off on the a/f ratio, what makes you think they are correct on the dyno number?

Edit: Also, just because a car club or whoever uses the dyno, it does not mean it has to be accurate. All it has to be is REPEATEABLE.

One last thing. I have seen dynos give a run with a crazy number, and the next run everything is fine. Something fuxors up on the dyno run and it reads way off, and the next run (or next 100 runs) it doesn't. I have seen this happen in person, and there is no way a car could make 30+ more horsepower on one run than another (what I saw happen). Something simply screwed up.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

hes making probably 235rwhp with a decent tune...

Edit
but why are we all complaining... dynos arent accurate. there a tool used to make the car run better.. no dyno will give you the exact rwhp and rwtq your car is making. his dyno sheet says 254 let him claim he has 254.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

He may have what we call.... A Factory Freak!

Quick Reply: Dynoed