4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rim Time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default Rim Time!!!

I finally decided its time to put some new rims on my car. I am going with the chrome Saleen 18s. What tire size and rim width would you guys recomend? And where is the cheapest/best place to get them from? And if you guys say Ebay is that really a safe place?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:53 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rim Time!!!

Look at previous threads for size etc .. and yes .. ebay is a safe place... buy from people with good feedback .. and as a beginer .. until you get a feel for it .. try to buy from powersellers that do alot of business
Old 11-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

So Ebay would be the cheapest place? by far? The only reason im afraid of ebay is because a month ago my freind ordered some blackouts for his camaro SS and never got them. Only payed 30 but still. He emailed the seller and didnt get a reply.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:08 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Like I said yes .. ebay is fine .. been on there for years.. you have your occasional problem .. but overall its a very safe site .. and if you use paypal .. there has never been an incident that I didn't get my money back ... you wanna go with replicas .. but not knock offs .. there is a difference .. and I don't know if anyone else can beat 650 shipped on a set of 18x9's but if they can let me know .. buying "saleen" .. or "roush" wheels is just a rip off .. replicas by OEM parts are just as good and are identical except .. they don't say .."saleen" or "roush" on them
Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

The big difference between Replicas and Originals isn't just the name, it's also the Composition, the integrity of the casting, and the weight of the wheel...

Hell, you could get some 17x9 Cobra R's, Originals weigh something like 17lbs a piece, but most Replicas weigh in at nearly 27lbs a piece...

If you're just out for looks, then Replicas are a great substitute, but if you're looking for performance, going w/ a brand name isn't a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination..

JT
Old 11-25-2006, 02:31 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Like I said ..there is a difference between knock offs .. and replicas .. for newbies to the modding game .. no .. not really any difference... thats why before you ever buy anything .. just call the company and ask all the questions you have .. when you get the answers you're able to make a better decision ...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:33 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Yes, but your post is misleading for the fact that Knock-Offs and Replicas are nearly the same thing...

Plain and simple, if you want guaranteed quality, go w/ a recognized Retailer/Seller and get Authenticty..

If you're just out for looks, and only spend $400 for rims, then expect $400 worth of rims..

JT
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Not true ... I've been buying and selling wheels since 2000 when I turned 16 . granted it doesn't seem like a long time .. but that is when the aftermarket wheel industry really started to boom .. and prior to my mustang .. I did nothing but customize show qaulity vehicles

all that aside.. if you know what you're looking for you can get nice wheels .. at a lesser price.. name brand in wheels does not equal quality in all cases .. as with anything "read and be able to understand the specs" .. The SAME materials cost all the companies the SAME price .. names do jack up prices
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Very true, but I've seen and read a lot of vendors that sell cast wheels that are barely at DOT standards for rigidity/roundness, but still go for good money..

They way I saw it, when I bought my last set of wheels was, since they cost so much nowadays, is that I'm only going to do it once, maybe twice (summer rims, track wheels), save the extra money, and buy a good set after doing research..

Which is a really good point you bring up... Adam03GT and anyone else considering rims: Do some damn research... Research backspacing, and off-set, and wheel weights before you buy... There are already a ton of wheel threads that do nothing but regurgitate old info that has been here for a while...

JT
Old 11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
AvidMustang
3rd Gear Member

About replica rims, Ive seen some fr rims that say something at the bottom of the rim (but in small pics so I cant read it) and some without. I assume the replicas dont have that. Does anyone know what thats all about?

Quick Reply: Rim Time!!!