4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

75 MM TB

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 AM
sweet2kstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 75 MM TB

upgrades not needed. i ran a p&p T/B and plenum with stock maf. after everything else got done i got a T/B and plenum then i ran across a good deal on a C&L MAF w/ the black(stock) sample tube along with the filter and intake pipe. i noticed a stronger pull after 3800 to redline.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:52 AM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

But if you put larger injectors wouldn't you need a stronger fuel pump
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 AM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_NTriangle

I just installed my 75 MM BBK TB and BBK upper intake, but I do not have a whistle. I also have K&N CAI. You must have a leak. I like the throttle response over stock I can notice a difference. Next mod will be BBK pulley kit.
i dunno...mines makes a sucking sound...i sprayed wd 40 all around and got no leak. I always thought that was normal for a tb/plenum
Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

Calm down Code... The computer IS NOT calibrated for a larger MAF and injectors. The larger MAF is sending signals to the computer in accordance to how the MAF is "calibrated". MAF's that are said to be "calibrated" for a certain size injector are really just "tricking" the EEC. Lets use, for example, a Pro-M 77 "calibrated " for 30lb injectors: As far as the computer is concerned it thinks the stock MAF and 19lb injectors are still there. So when it reads the voltage from the new MAF (which will have different voltage but will convert it) it only sees the original amount of air mass when in fact there is much more. This would create a lean condition if the injectors were stock, but the injectors are now 30lb so the same pulsewidth now means that more fuel will flow. This results in pretty close to the correct Air fuel ratio. Of course you can re tune your computer with tuners and such. And doing some research, they're all right. Using a MAF on a N/A engine is a poor idea that lead to detonation and/or worse.

Uh no...I run the stock MAF that came on my car with the stock 19# injectors. My computer was retuned and MAF was retuned through the computer for the larger injectors. Buying an off the shelf MAF that is "calibrated" for certain size injectors is never a good idea.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

FWIW the magazine "Mustangs and Fast Fords" has been doing a series of articles called "Inside The Black Box" which talks all about this kind of stuff.
Pretty in depth stuff with tables, formula's etc.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Uh yeah, that's exactly how it works. Trust me. And I did say that you could get your re-tune your computer. Unless your car needs to be completely dialed in and tuned perfect, an off the shelf MAF is a fine idea. If you car is anything but full road race, or track, or trap or anything like that, they work fine. The cheaper the MAF, the crappeir the "calibration." There are some that are POS's, but there are ones that work fine.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

You don't need to upgrade your MAF sensor with a new TB. It wouldn't hurt, though. Most people use Lightning MAF. When you get a new MAF, make sure you get one that is calibrated for your stock injectors. It won't make the CEL come on. You will still see a difference with throttle response with the TB even without the plenum and/or MAF but every bit helps. I have a Mac 70mm TB and I don't hear a whistle. I don't have any experiance with BBK so I'm not sure.
A lightning maf is extreme overkill on a n/a 2v application.

On the point of "tuning" a maf, I would like to know exactly how you go about doing this. All the MAF does is send a voltage signal to the ECU to tell it how much air is passing thru the sensor housing. I have seen C&L kits that come with different air tubes so you can reduce the air hitting the acutal sensor and thus keep your maf from pegging, but I have never seen anyone that was "in the know" about 2v 4.6L tuning acutall talk about or do any "maf tuning".

Edit: There is absolulty no reason to swap out your maf on a boltons only n/a combonation. The car simply cannot draw enough air to make the MAF a restriction. Buying my C&L maf was a complete waste of money, espcially when I ended up using a lightning maf when I went to FI.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Uh yeah, that's exactly how it works. Trust me. And I did say that you could get your re-tune your computer. Unless your car needs to be completely dialed in and tuned perfect, an off the shelf MAF is a fine idea. If you car is anything but full road race, or track, or trap or anything like that, they work fine. The cheaper the MAF, the crappeir the "calibration." There are some that are POS's, but there are ones that work fine.
WTH are you talking about. PLEASE keep your tech advice to yourself. You are adding nothing beneficial to this tech area. k, thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

By "this kind of stuff" I meant MAF, Air/Fuel etc.
Not anything specific that anyone has said in the thread.

Here is a snippet from the M&FF mag Nov06 edition.

"The big advantage of the MAF system is that you can change things in airflow and the MAF will react to the changes and the fuel flow will still be correct"

"The MAF system is only as good as the accuracy of the MAF sensor and unfortunately many aftermarket MAF meters have poor accuracy"

Then they go on to talk about so called "calibrated" to work with larger injector type MAF sensors which work without needing ECU programming. They work by fooling the ECU. Sending 1/2 the voltage signal causes the ECU to think their is only 1/2 the air and thus only 1/2 the fuel is needed and the ECU will cut the pulse width of the injectors by roughly 1/2.

They go on to say that now the load calculation is now screwed up which messes with the spark advance etc.....

Bottom line, it's COMPLEX STUFF......

Get Nov06 through Jan07 of Mustangs and Fast Fords if you want to understand how all of this stuff works right down to the tables stored in the ECU.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

you dont want to upgrade the maf sensor unless goin forced induction bottom line!!!!!!![sm=closed.gif]