4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mod motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 AM
KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

Default mod motor questions

So i was at work the other night reading some back issues of MM&FF, thinking as to what i was going to do to my car ('02 GT Auto) next...well my question are on the modular engines (4.6/5.4) heads....are they interchangeable between the two engines? if i bought a 5.4 shortblock would my 4.6 2v heads bolt onto that engine?...now if they are interchangeable...what would stop me from ordering a 5.4 mod motor (short block) and throwing on some 4v heads?..i see that patriot performance sells 4v heads...and for my last question.. if i wanted to rip my engine out (4.6) and rebuild it what all would i need to do...to convert IT to a 4v (4.6 4v/mach 1-99/01 cobra)...obviously if i rebuilt it i would do it right and build it to hold up to some nasty boost....i would think that i would have to order the heads, intake, throttlebody/plentum, mass air meter, and a computer from a mach 1 or a 99/01 cobra....instead of hunting down one of those computers would it be better just to purchase a stand alone ECU unit? (such as the FAST engine management software)...another thing i would like to do is be able to hook up a laptop to my car and see things like air/fuel ratio in real time and be able to "tune" my car to a certain degree....i have a lot of things i want to get done but i have to take it one thing at a time....oh also...i know that a majority of the 4.6 blocks were made at Fords romeo plant...but from i believe 00-02 the windsor plant built some of the 4.6 motors too(correct me if i'm wrong)...and the head bolt pattern is different between the two blocks...depending on which block i have (which i have to check my bolt pattern to see) how would this affect my mod motor build up? i know this is a lot to respond to but i would really apprechiate any help i could get...thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: mod motor questions

Theres 2 things that I recommend doing here:

1) Buy a Cobra or Mach 1
2) Buy a 4v and all the components that you will need and just swap out the motors.

There really isnt a reason to try and swap heads and camshafts and all this other sh*t when in the end its gonna be really expensive, as in thousands and thousands of dollars.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

swappin heads like that is sometimes used by cobra owners and navigator DOHC heads...its a little more flowing but nothing noticable, so it is possible but not very practical unless you upgrade to like ford GT heads
As for the switch, you'd have to watch piston clearance...but you'd need the primary/secondary chains, cam gears, heads (cams, springs etc), chain guides, and a few other things...just get another motor
Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

the FORD GT heads....aren't they the same heads off of the '00 cobra R? if so...whats the difference between these heads and the current DOHC 4.6/5.4 heads that patriot performance is selling....i was under the impression that they were the same...and its not like i'd be swapping heads on a stock mustang gt shortblock...like i said i'd be building the shortblock to withstand some punishment from a turbo (or 2) i didn't know if it would be worth spending the money to convert my "built shortblock" to a 4v instead of the normal 2v......AND if i had (or if i were) to buy a new shortblock (5.4) would i be able to put 4v heads on there and make that an 00 cobra r / FORD GT type engine...i still have to do a lot of research on mod motors (obviously) and i know i'm gonna throw some money into it...but it's sort of like a "i built this motor" sense of completion at the end of the day....
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

the FORD GT heads....aren't they the same heads off of the '00 cobra R? if so...whats the difference between these heads and the current DOHC 4.6/5.4 heads that patriot performance is selling....i was under the impression that they were the same...and its not like i'd be swapping heads on a stock mustang gt shortblock...like i said i'd be building the shortblock to withstand some punishment from a turbo (or 2) i didn't know if it would be worth spending the money to convert my "built shortblock" to a 4v instead of the normal 2v......AND if i had (or if i were) to buy a new shortblock (5.4) would i be able to put 4v heads on there and make that an 00 cobra r / FORD GT type engine...i still have to do a lot of research on mod motors (obviously) and i know i'm gonna throw some money into it...but it's sort of like a "i built this motor" sense of completion at the end of the day....
ummmm the heads, there are differences, such as intake size, exhaust size, and combustion chamber size..... so i highly doubt the patriot and cobra r heads are even close to being the same.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

you want info on the ford GT? here you go

HEADS
The four-valve cylinder heads derived from a previous 5.4L performance engine (The Cobra R heads, which have been refined and are also on some Austrailian car and fords Offroad program) are cast in T356 aluminum. They contain detail core revisions for improved casting, machining, and performance. The exhaust port core wall went from straight to 11º, providing thicker sand core walls. This allows more coolant to flow around the exhaust valve giving improved valve cooling, a necessity for the high temperatures and pressures generated. Dual-doweled, individual cam caps replaced the ladder cap assembly used on other Modular 4V cylinder heads to accommodate the higher lift cam profiles.

So basically, Patriot has a revised head, these GT are fresh castings with better race-inspired changes that can then again be port and polished to see even higher numbers than the patriot head..go ford
Old 12-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I had a hard time reading this whole thing, but I would suggest picking up a crate 5.4L DOHC from Ford Racing Parts. Then visit Ford Fuel Injection and research the different aftermarket computers available. The PMS system (what a name!) looked to be the best to me, ironically.
ORIGINAL: KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

So i was at work the other night reading some back issues of MM&FF, thinking as to what i was going to do to my car ('02 GT Auto) next...well my question are on the modular engines (4.6/5.4) heads....are they interchangeable between the two engines? if i bought a 5.4 shortblock would my 4.6 2v heads bolt onto that engine?...now if they are interchangeable...what would stop me from ordering a 5.4 mod motor (short block) and throwing on some 4v heads?..i see that patriot performance sells 4v heads...and for my last question.. if i wanted to rip my engine out (4.6) and rebuild it what all would i need to do...to convert IT to a 4v (4.6 4v/mach 1-99/01 cobra)...obviously if i rebuilt it i would do it right and build it to hold up to some nasty boost....i would think that i would have to order the heads, intake, throttlebody/plentum, mass air meter, and a computer from a mach 1 or a 99/01 cobra....instead of hunting down one of those computers would it be better just to purchase a stand alone ECU unit? (such as the FAST engine management software)...another thing i would like to do is be able to hook up a laptop to my car and see things like air/fuel ratio in real time and be able to "tune" my car to a certain degree....i have a lot of things i want to get done but i have to take it one thing at a time....oh also...i know that a majority of the 4.6 blocks were made at Fords romeo plant...but from i believe 00-02 the windsor plant built some of the 4.6 motors too(correct me if i'm wrong)...and the head bolt pattern is different between the two blocks...depending on which block i have (which i have to check my bolt pattern to see) how would this affect my mod motor build up? i know this is a lot to respond to but i would really apprechiate any help i could get...thanks a lot guys!