4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Question

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch Question

Question on clutch kits. I will be installing a procharger in the next month and want to get a beefier clutch (spec stage 2 or centerforce) to handle harder launches on d/r's and the added power from the s/c. My question is... Is buying a new pressure plate with the clutch kit required or with it be okay to use the stock pressure plate on a mildly modded s/c car?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch Question

usually the pressure plate will come with the kit. You just have to replace or resurface your flywheel
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I'm sorry, I feel like a jackass! I just got off of a 12 hour shift. I meant to ask about the flywheel. Do I need to replace it?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Depends. If you want to rev quicker you can get a lighter one, but when I put in my king cobra I had mine resurfaced.. it had/has plenty of life left in it.

Depending on how many hp you are gonna make you probably will be fine with the stock, but I'm not sure.

Alls I know is from havin it off I don't see how it could be a weak point
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

You need to get the spec pressure plate also. It will apply more pressure to the clutch than the stock plate. Using the stock pressure plate will defeat the purpose of a better clutch disk. In other words the new clutch with the old plate would make no difference than if you replaced your clutch with a stock one. I've got a procharger on mine and I'm still running the stock clutch and pressure plate. I've
raced mine at the track with M/T drag radials over a year now and my stock clutch has never slipped. My ft's are 1.70s.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

You need to get the spec pressure plate also. It will apply more pressure to the clutch than the stock plate. Using the stock pressure plate will defeat the purpose of a better clutch disk. In other words the new clutch with the old plate would make no difference than if you replaced your clutch with a stock one. I've got a procharger on mine and I'm still running the stock clutch and pressure plate. I've
raced mine at the track with M/T drag radials over a year now and my stock clutch has never slipped. My ft's are 1.70s.

Alabama represent!!! I'm just outside of Huntsville. Anyway, what rpm do you launch at? How many miles you have on your car? Thats a damn nice 60 foot time too. I think I pulled a 2.20 best the last time I ran. It was on the gatorbacks tho. I meant the flywheel, I posted a "I'm an idiot reply" two above yours.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I leave at about 1800. It turns up very quick with the procharger so trying to leave any harder breaks the tires loose. I know it's a good trip but if you get board one sunday Atmore dragway will be open year round every sunday from 2 pm till 8. I've got some vid of a street car that runs 5.30s but I'm still trying to put it on the internet. Haven't figured that one out yet.lol
Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Maverick04GT
2nd Gear Member

Bay Minette and Huntsville, eh? I'm from Mobile. LA FTW

(Lower Alabama, for the uninitiated among us )
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

You do any weekend street racing in Mobile?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I used to rep P'cola back in the day when I was like 12. Thats LA too. Not FLA! I make take a ride down there after I get my p-charger on. Hopefully my wife will give me the okay in the next week. Ive gotta wait for our estimate on new kitchen cabinets to come in. Hey contentsunderpressure, do you have any internal engine work done? Sounds like a nice setup you got there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Question