4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:43 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Header Help

i got a 96 gt and am obout to put on my entire SLP exhaust system. i know that i can do most of the car myself (x-pipe and back) but am wondering about the headers. ive got long tubes. my question is how hard will taking off the old exhaust manifolds be and replacing them with the new LTH's. also i heard that i might have to lift the engine a few inches. anyone know for sure if i'll have to do that or anything else really difficult. thanks
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Header Help

you have to drop the k member and unbolt the engine then lift it up to fit the headers.

czwalga00gt or some wierd name like that did a very nice write up.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

how long do you think the whole header replacement take
Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i think he did it over a weekend... if you know what your doing prob 8hrs-1day without a lift 4-6hrs with a lift.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

Well, you don't have to drop theK member to put headers on. That's a whole lot of work for real. This is probaly going to be one of the biggest pains that you'll do on your car. The cat back won't be bad. You'll have to cut your stock mufflers off. Now make sure your car is high enough off the ground because if your catback is attached, you'll have to fit it in over the axle. With the mid-pipe, the starter will be the hardest part. There's three bolts on the starter that mount it to the the block. The bottom one is really easy. The second one up you can probaly get pretty easy, but the third one is a little trouble. Just make sure you have tons of patience and extensions. The 02 sensors might be rusted on, so they may give you a little trouble. You should be able to get those off pretty easy. Your stock manifolds are a joke. You can get those off really, expect for they may be rusted a little bit. Just be careful that you don't break the studs. Because putting in studs is a pain. Anyways. To get the long tubes in you'll need to disconnect the steering, and tuck it off to the side. Take both motor mounts off, and support the motor on jacks. I had two jacks that I used. I put one of the rear of the engine, and one on the frnt crankshaft pully. I just moved the engine around until the header slid up into the slot. And to tighten all the bolts down, I just jacked the engine up and tightened most of the bolts from the top. O, I found it easy all if you disasemble some of the top of the motor, just to clear up room. This is just the gist of it. It's going to take you a long time for sure. Just be patient and take your time. Once you hear the car start for the first time, you'll be so excited. O man. Anyways, if you need any help or have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:11 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98MustangSTL

Well, you don't have to drop theK member to put headers on. That's a whole lot of work for real. This is probaly going to be one of the biggest pains that you'll do on your car. The cat back won't be bad. You'll have to cut your stock mufflers off. Now make sure your car is high enough off the ground because if your catback is attached, you'll have to fit it in over the axle. With the mid-pipe, the starter will be the hardest part. There's three bolts on the starter that mount it to the the block. The bottom one is really easy. The second one up you can probaly get pretty easy, but the third one is a little trouble. Just make sure you have tons of patience and extensions. The 02 sensors might be rusted on, so they may give you a little trouble. You should be able to get those off pretty easy. Your stock manifolds are a joke. You can get those off really, expect for they may be rusted a little bit. Just be careful that you don't break the studs. Because putting in studs is a pain. Anyways. To get the long tubes in you'll need to disconnect the steering, and tuck it off to the side. Take both motor mounts off, and support the motor on jacks. I had two jacks that I used. I put one of the rear of the engine, and one on the frnt crankshaft pully. I just moved the engine around until the header slid up into the slot. And to tighten all the bolts down, I just jacked the engine up and tightened most of the bolts from the top. O, I found it easy all if you disasemble some of the top of the motor, just to clear up room. This is just the gist of it. It's going to take you a long time for sure. Just be patient and take your time. Once you hear the car start for the first time, you'll be so excited. O man. Anyways, if you need any help or have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.
Sounds like a bitch...You think shorty's would be any easier to put on ?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:13 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Here is the link. You might want to do a search on the site. There are several post within the week about this same install.

Here ya go.
http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml
Old 12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

Great link
Old 12-23-2006, 10:18 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

O yeah they would be tons easier. I'm not trying to promote not getting longtubes because they are awesome. With the NPI heads and cams, your not going to see gains from the longtubes. I think you would be happy with just shorties, off road x, and single chamber mufflers, or lm's. Shorties are just like replacing your stock manifolds, so it will be pretty easy.