4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Have you Installed an offroad x-pipe without mil eliminators? Ddi your Stang run crappy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Have you Installed an offroad x-pipe without mil eliminators? Ddi your Stang run crappy?

i had an o/r x bassani with no mils for awhile and my car worked fine. i just barely got some mils and nothing changed. but if you wanna pass inspectiojn clean then get the mils. But i have them on my car now and they make no difference then when they were off
Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Have you Installed an offroad x-pipe without mil eliminators? Ddi your Stang run crappy?

i had my o/r x for six months before i made my mil's and didn't notice any loss in power, all that the rear o2 sensors do is basically monitor how well the cats are performing..... well in these cars at least.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 PM
jepostang
1st Gear Member

Hmmm....Ok. I have heard they do hurt form experience, and they don 't hurt from experience.
I have also heard form different manufacturers that not having any mil eliminators or any rear cats will affect they way the car runs. It is sending a signal to the computer that they cats aren't working properly and that in turn makes the computer go on "LIMP MODE", changing timing and fuel/air ratios.

Does anyone else have any more words of wisdom?

I order my mil eliminators from dallas mustang already.

Thanks a lot for your responses!!
-Jeph
Old 12-29-2006, 07:17 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I ran without mine for about a year and my check engine light came on maybe twice, whereas when I had them in it stayed on all the time.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 PM
2004GTRED
2nd Gear Member

I think "limp mode" is a myth. I want to see some proof on this.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:47 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ceekay84

you know what the funny thing is? I got o/r x pipe for over 5k miles and no CEL yet =D

yea me 2...I have had my X pipe w/o the MILs and no check engine lights either..Though my car has been running terribly rich and getting horrible gas mileage...
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

I put my O/R H on and my CEL is on. I have the tuner+gears but haven't got them installed yet. I want to know definitavely if the CEL for no cats affects performance or not.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Limp mode is for your cooling system and secondary systems. Like if you have a bad temp sensor, it will turn on the fans to run all the time. to keep from over heating. Stuff like that. A/F ratio adaptation is a myth. The system either picks up on the errors or it doesn't, thats all... Your car may learn and adapt to a dirty IAC but nothing greater than that....
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 PM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Ya I had mil's with my o/r pipe. CEL came on threw an o2 sensor code. I just left it, went to start my car one morning CEL wasn't on....still hasn't come back on . Kinda odd but whatever works.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: jepostang

Hey, I installed an offroad x-pipe and didn't install mil elimnators. After the install the car didn't run as good as before. I knew the check engine light would come on, but assumed that there would be no loss in power.

Is there a loss of power if the mil eliminators aren't installed?

I ordered a set from www.dallasmustang.com , they should be here in about a week. Will I see better performance once I trick the computer that there are cats installed?

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57155/4948479C931A453E819CE4F7896200D8.jpg[/IMG]
NO it will not hurt your performance at all. The cel is just telling you that the cats are not working properly. It has no effect on anything. The loss you may be feeling is because your torque was moved up in the curve. Peopl get the mils or the tuner so they dont have to look at the light.
????? not what i ve heard, explain[&:]

o and how much do you want for the mils??
The rear o2 sensors only tell you that you will not pass an emissions test. It sends nothing to the computer to change anything. The front o2 sensors are a secondary system that meters the exhaust gasses for lean conditions. The only sensor in your car that will change your air/ fuel ratio is the mass air sensor. That is what the computer relies on to tell it how much air is coming in so it can spit out the right amoung of fuel.

If you don't believe that the rear o2s do nothing to the performance then dyno the car with them and with out them. I will bet a paycheck that you get the same numbers (as long as conditions are the same).

Do you know what a mil elim is? It is a resistor that stops the signal.