4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad Spark Plug Problems: PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default Bad Spark Plug Problems: PLEASE HELP.

I know this post looks long, but most of it is just describing the problem so please help me out!

Hey guys, I know you guys would know what to do better than anyone so I'm posting here.I'm having some pretty bad problems with my spark plugs, so I appreciate the help. I'd like to make a requestfor no posts that don't contribute to fixing the problem, I just need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

My problems started just this morning on my daily drive to school. I took the same route as always, just another normal day. I was taking a left turn about 1/2 mi. from my school, and as soon as I finished the turn and the wheels came straight, I heard/felt this horrible "clicking" or "tacking" sound coming from behind the dash. I thought my speedo gear popped loose, but it was working perfectly. The sound got worse and louder the higher the rpm's.

I parked at school and popped the hood, with the motor running so I could hear the sound. As soon as I did so, I knew exactly where it was coming from. Cylinder #6's "coil on plug" was shaking violently. So I shut the engine off, went to my autoshop (Mr D. is fond of me), and I knew he could help. I got some tools, went out to the car, and popped off the coil. The spark plug came out with it, with no unscrewing at all. It just came out with the rubber coil housing. The spark plug had no gap whatsoever. It looked as if the gapwas fusedshut by heating and cooling. The first 3 threads on the spark plug was also melted. The first 3 threads on the cyl. head was also warped. I was taken aback, and took the plug back to Mr D. He took a look at the car and suggested either using his "unreliable" re-threading tool, or take it to a Mustang specialty shop down the street. I called my dad, and he said to take the tool home and we can do it there. Mr D replaced it with a similar spark plug and threaded it about 3 threads in. I got home safely, but I'm not driving for the rest of the week. BTW, there wasn't much corrosion on the spark plug, such as carbon. Just a little brown shade.

Now I know what the problem is, and my question is...How did this happen? And can it happen again, or is it possible that it happened on other cylinders?

I'm sorry I couldn't take any pictures, because some thoughtless rude personwalked off with the spark plug which was sitting in the auto class.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Spark Plug Problems: PLEASE HELP.

Nobody can help!!! I know it's a long post, but I really need your insight on this!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Spark Plug Problems: PLEASE HELP.

I had a similar thing happen. I changed my plugs about a month after I bought my car because it had 80k miles and I had a feeling that the previous owner has never done so. Anyways I came to the last spark plug, cylinder 7< the one closest to the passenger side. I pulled it out and the plug had no gap whatsoever. The prong was basically touching the electrode. Other than that one none of the other plugs looked to be in bad shape, and none popped out or stuck themselves to the coil pack. As to why there was no gap, I have no idea? your guess is as good as mine.