4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Considering the possibility...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 AM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

Default Considering the possibility...

Well I'll be graduating from college in May and I've been looking around recently to upgrade from my GT to a Cobra. The problem is I haven't found within reasonable price. Yeah I know the average selling price for a clean 20k's miles Cobra will fetch somewhere around $24-28k or even higher depending on mods and color. I know that some of you guys will tell me to wait and I respect that but i have earned my way with the cars I have owned.I mean from a person of my age bracket it would be hard to come up with the means to finance something like this. I know a lot will say to hold on to my GT but I'm looking for something with a little more bite and a little more uniqueness. I have the craving and it needs to be fulfilled now!
So with that in mind, I've also been looking at SS's. I know they don't have the looks of a Mustang but I can find an SS within a reasonable price range and budget for me.
So that brings me to two questions. How easily is it to mod an SS. Meaning how dothey respond and so forth. And my other question is in regard to the bottom of an SS. Is it built or would I have to build it up? I know I should probably ask this elsewhere, meaning other websites, but I would rather here it from fellow mustangers so Ican hear from he company I keep.
If that is the case that I would have to build it then I'll definitely try to be patient and wait for the right time to get the right car (Cobra).
Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Considering the possibility...

There is nothing like driving a boosted car. If your referring to the 03/04 Cobra's... no doubt they are worth a little bit of waiting. I had an 04 GT last year that I was just about to start modding cuz I just graduated college and started to make enough money to put back for aftermarket parts if I wanted to. But I thought what the heck, I'll just sell my GT and get one of the most badass muscle car that you can find. So thats what I did... I've had to wait about 6 months in between sellin the GT and gettin the Cobra, but in my eyes, it'll be worth it. You can find some Cobra for right around the $24k mark with 30k miles now, so just look around. svtperformance has a good section that sells just terminators so you might wanna go check it out. Good luck and happy snake hunting.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 AM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

Yeah good point. I forgot to mention that it was the 03/04's. My GT is mildly modded and the only boosted car I've been is an Audi S4 so I'm sure there is a big differece to be expected with the Cobra. I've been searching already for about 2 months on svtperformance, Ebay and what not. So I have the patience at least for a while longer.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

If a cobra is what you really want then wait. You wont be satisfied with an ss if your heart still wants a stang
Old 01-12-2007, 03:16 AM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

Good point.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 AM
0hOneGT
3rd Gear Member

Can't beat the looks you get from people when youre driving a stang if you ask me. I'd stick with the pony, even if you upgrade to the cobra.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

But to answer the "how well do SS's respond to mods" question. Very well. The LSx motors put down some power if done right. Ive always heard that with a harsher cam, exhaust, and a little head work and lets not forget about a "lid" (whoopee) that the LS1's will put down tons of power. But thats hearsay and I'm a Ford guy so I say get a Cobra when you can 'cause you'll kick yourself in the a$$ if you don't