4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shorty Headers vs LT's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty Headers vs LT's

yea ive heard you can do it with MAC...but im honestly afraid of that brand. some people have nothing but praises to sing...others have nothing but horror stories. i decided it wasnt worth the risk and just got BBK Ceramic LTs...and replaced the clutch at the same time so hopefully i wont hafta touch the tranny for a while.

SOHCtimes2...if you actually look into MACs...make sure you get the Ceramic ones...they are kind of hard to find. most of the ones online that i see are HTS coated...which from what i have heard are nowhere near the quality of Ceramic. MAC does make Ceramic...just hard to find from my experience.

and to the original question...from what ive read...on a N/A Mustang...expect maybe 3 or so rwhp with Shorties....but between prolly 10-15 for...Longies? [8D]
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

yea ive heard you can do it with MAC...but im honestly afraid of that brand. some people have nothing but praises to sing...others have nothing but horror stories. i decided it wasnt worth the risk and just got BBK Ceramic LTs...and replaced the clutch at the same time so hopefully i wont hafta touch the tranny for a while.

SOHCtimes2...if you actually look into MACs...make sure you get the Ceramic ones...they are kind of hard to find. most of the ones online that i see are HTS coated...which from what i have heard are nowhere near the quality of Ceramic. MAC does make Ceramic...just hard to find from my experience.

and to the original question...from what ive read...on a N/A Mustang...expect maybe 3 or so rwhp with Shorties....but between prolly 10-15 for...Longies? [8D]
+1.. with a tune.

Shorties are nearly worthless on a bolton only car.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, it helped me out.
When spring arrives I'll dig deep andbuy the LT's and a shorty mid-pipe.

Many years ago, when I was 19...I bought my first muscle car. It was a '72Chev Nova and I'll never forget what the speed shop owner told me when I bitched about thehigh cost of mod parts, he said...."Speed costs bucks kid...how fast do you wanna go?" That was classic.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

+1.. with a tune.

Shorties are nearly worthless on a bolton only car.
How about on a F/I car?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

I have the Bassani mid-lengths on my GT. The cool thing about them is that all the header pipes are individual and slip into one collector. No need to remove the transmission. I was also able to use the standard size Bassani x-pipe.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04mineralgreyGT
How about on a F/I car?
More air being brought in = more air needing to get out...I vote LT's.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

How much power gains would you excpect out of a full exhaust system???
SLP LM1 (10 hp) + BBK H-pipe + BBK LT's = maybe 40 hp?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:56 PM
97mustanggton18s
2nd Gear Member

I in between mids and LT's...I hdont want to have the hassel if i need the tranny out...how much better are long tubes then mids?
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

SLP LM1 catback...or any other catback for that matter...will only get you like 2 or 3 rwhp i believe. add a midpipe and LT headers...you can see over 20 i believe up to 25ish...give or take a few...but nowhere close to 40.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

i would assume that ur talkin about lt's
ORIGINAL: CobraSnake

also don't forget the massive inhancement of throttle response.
oh yea i forgot to say that but, yea LT's.

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers vs LT's