4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

good turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 11:29 PM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: good turbo kit?

Are you serious? Every one trys to find the cheep way out. dont be dumb and do **** right
Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: BADSEED

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

how big of a turbo is it? Hopefully not 38mm. Thats TINY
i think it's 45mm
Well, thats better, but doesnt the HP kit come with twin 57's? Or is it 1 57mm?
HP stage 1 is a 50mm, stage 2 is 57mm and stage 3 is 67mm
Old 01-21-2007, 02:07 AM
hammerdown99
2nd Gear Member

I was actually looking into this kit for a while as well. You would need to have a custom down pipe as well as a manifold. Then have the piping ran for it, which really wont be that bad and have it tuned. I wasunder the impression that a T4 was a nice size turbo. In reality there is a lot more too it than it seems. Fitting all of that around in your car is going to be tricky. All in all I kinda figured it up for the tune and piping ran, wasnt really to high. Its a chance to take but if it worked it would be SWEET. I wasntwilling to take it though lol. Good luck buddy
Old 01-21-2007, 03:48 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ive been looking at turbo kits for almost 2 months now... cheapestest ive seen for the new edge stangs is $5000+ If you can weld id suggest buying all the hot parts and custom making yourself one. Ive found that if you own a fox body stang you can buy a turbo kit for damn near $2500

this is the turbo im going to have 1 of these days....
http://www.proturbokits.com/store/sc...?idproduct=123
or
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_99_04.php
Old 01-21-2007, 04:21 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

from what my tuner tells me , and I have seen them with my own two eyes, basically no boost level is safe on a stock motor... but If I did one I would say about 4-6lbs... no more than 360-380 rwhp, the turbos seem to be harder on the motor... I am yet to see one on a stock motor last longer than 1 year
Old 01-21-2007, 04:59 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

http://www.turbochargedinnovation.co...eturbokits.htm dont buy that cheap ebay universal kit... but ive been doing alot of research on a custom turbo build on www.turbomustang.com and ive been refered to go to that site for a hotside or a coldside kit because they sell them seperately. or you can buy the whole turbo kit from them for a little over 4 grand.. goodluck do your research turbo mustang would is the best site for info
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Simply put, its a bad idea to put a turbo kit of any type on a stock engine assembly... simply because it's a ton of money for no greater result than a blower setup.

Every single stock motor/turbo setup I have seen on a 2v car has had what I call "supra syndrome". You simply cannot spin the stock assembly enough RPM to really take advantage of the kit. Check out the "boostang" for example.

On the stock engine he was getting beat or running door to door with cars a centri/kb car would simply destroy. Every shift the car would seem to bog down with turbo lag, and by the time it picked up again it was time to shift.

In any case, unless you have a hell of a deal with a customfab shop, you are in for a major headache trying to do a DIY kit. Someone on the forums recently did this and all they got done was buying the parts... its alot more work than one would expect.

In any case, nobody can argue that dollar for dollar your best bet is to stick with a blower setup. For the price of a turbo kit + install you could have a new forged assembly and a centri style supercharger under the hood, and make LOTs more power.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:44 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

really so boostang ran into into the supra syndrom and was a highway god tahts pretty gay... idk im still doing all my research on weather or not i should do a turbo or not. maybe illl go wit a kenne bell.... whooo knows
Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
SofaKingFast
2nd Gear Member

where can i get a good s/c ata resonable price?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

hellion and HP make godly turbo kits IMO... everything comes with the kit, headers, midpipe, intercooler, piping, fuel upgrades... everything you need.... they are 6 grand though.

as far as SC'ing that's gonna be pricey too.... people usually go with vortech or kenne bell... a few go with whipple as well. the paxton has a good name too

Quick Reply: good turbo kit?