MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Everything look ok? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/234979-everything-look-ok.html)

99gtstang 01-22-2007 11:44 PM

RE: Everything look ok?

ORIGINAL: astaticwinter

Hmmm...perfect[sm=smiley13.gif] The carfax was clean when I bought it...dealer failed to mention this I suppose.

I was looking to replace the pulleys anyway, with maybe a Steeda set, I think they're the straight up replacements, not the piggybacks.

Should I hold off on modding, maybe bring it to a Ford dealer and get a little inspection from their service dept? I know there's no warranty, but I'd pay a little out of pocket for some peace of mind.

i would do that to be on the safe side...
you need to peek at the bottom......and maybe under carpet and trunk area for the hell of it.....you never know...

what state did it come from?.......

astaticwinter 01-22-2007 11:48 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking I might...I was going to anyway, because I need a spare key and a keyfob for it, and I have a little trouble with the 1-2 shift...no audible grind, but it's tough to get into with a clunk. The car drove well when I tested it....I'm hoping it's just the cold in the last week.

I bought it in NY...carfax says that it was first purchased in NJ, had one previous owner, and was sold and the dealer picked it up at an auction.

eventer289 01-22-2007 11:49 PM

That is a MAC CAI. See the hump before the Mass Airflow Sensor? BBK's don't have that hump.

meyerj88 01-23-2007 12:05 AM

If carfax said it was clean but it turns out that it wasn't you might want to contact them. I thought there used to be some commercials on the radio saying that they have a buy-back garuntee.

You might want to make sure that you didn't get a "Katrina car." There have been news reports of cars that were in Katrina turning up in Cali and all around the country. I'm not saying you have one, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. Definately take it to a dealer just to be on the safe side. And like I said carfax has a buy back garuntee I THINK. Don't quote me on that one

JPGT_00 01-23-2007 12:13 AM

Either way engine bay looks good, Is the midpipe BBK?

Dan04COBRA 01-23-2007 12:15 AM

They have buy-back guarentees if an insurance claim was made. If someone fixed it out of pocket (which is what happened if it's been wrecked) then they have no buy-back warranty.

I wouldn't take the car back to the same dealer. Personally, I'd NEVER buy a vehicle that has been @ an auction. Almost every car that's at the auction is there for a reason... Take it a body shop, ask them to look the car over for ANY type of repair work. Run your fingers around the edges of body panels, if you can feel a lip OTHER than the shape of the fender (ridges, tape marks - etc) then the car obviously has had some paint work, doesn't mean it was wrecked, but it's ammo if the car turns out to be a repaired POS & you are looking to go after whoever you purchased the car from.

dubarado 01-23-2007 12:19 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking I might...I was going to anyway, because I need a spare key and a keyfob for it, and I have a little trouble with the 1-2 shift...no audible grind, but it's tough to get into with a clunk. The car drove well when I tested it....I'm hoping it's just the cold in the last week.

I bought it in NY...carfax says that it was first purchased in NJ, had one previous owner, and was sold and the dealer picked it up at an auction.

ha... my car was from NY, but I bought it in NJ.... the carfax is clean as well, but as I look underneath it looks like it had a previous collising, becuase one of the frame connector things underheath the radiator is bent/crunched up and rusting...

yuengling910 01-23-2007 12:20 AM

So, I've had my '02 GT for about two weeks...finally starting to order a few things for it, getting it cleaned up, doing some work on it, etc.

I was outside replacing a few fuses and trying to get the CAI out so I could clean the rust off it...trying to figure out which CAI it is. Did some research, and I'm thinking it's a Mac. There are some stickers in the engine bay that I'm taking off, one being a Mac sticker, so it makes sense.

Something else though...there are BBK stickers...as far as I know, all the car had on it when I bought it was the CAI, and a Magnaflow catback exhaust, non-Magnapack. It's all getting replaced eventully, but I was thinking...what else could be BBK on my car right now? Nothing else looks aftermarket to me...any thoughts? Anything little and out of the way BBK makes that I might be missing?

Here are some pics of my engine bay...do the pulleys look fine? The crank pulley seems weird...maybe there's a set of BBK UDP's on it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...2/IMG_2746.jpg

Thanks a lot guys...any help is appriciated.

-TJ

those your snap on pliers?

dlazrael 01-23-2007 12:26 AM

those are def piggybacks.

and remember, carfax only shows reported repairs. If someone did work on it without reporting it, it wont be there

astaticwinter 01-23-2007 12:47 AM

The pliers are craftsman actually ;)

I think I'm SOL with the Carfax thing...you guys are correct, they only Buy Back for items that are reported.

As far as body work, I'll give it another look over, but this was one of my main concerns when I bought the car; the paint. I detail, and I'm really meticulous, and aside from a rock chip on the front, and a small scratch on the truck, I couldn't find anything wrong besides some nice swirl marks that I'm waiting for warmer weather to fix. I couldn't find any evidence of bondo or any body work, unblended paint, ridges, etc. So either it's fine and the old motor blew somehow, or someone did a good job at covering up an accident.

I think I'm going to grab a set of the Steeda underdrive pulleys, and probably bring it to Ford and explain my situation and have them give it a look and see if there's anything major wrong with it. My Dad has accounts with a few of the local Ford dealerships, so I'm hoping they can help me out.

And the midpipe, I'm pretty sure it's stock. I crawled under there a few times today, both the headers and midpipe look stock, and aside from some rusty welds on the catback, everything looks normal. Like I said, I planned on replacing most of this anyway; this car was going to be a nice project for myself and my Dad, so the mods already on it I was planning on re-doing....the CAI might be worth keeping though, after a through cleaning.

I really appriciate the help guys, thanks for everything.

-TJ