4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Midpipe/Catback Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
ctstanger

Default Midpipe/Catback Install ?

I started the install of a midpip/cataback last night (on '00 GT).

I was only going to put the car up on jacks, but couldn't resist going at that pesky passenger side bolts everyone keeps typing about. With air tools, it came off no problem.[sm=icon_cheers.gif] Only the front two O2 sensors were a pain to reach and unplug.

Question I have is if there is any significant "alignment" benifits from installing the new midpipe (MRT catted H) first, bolt it up, then do the catback (magnaflow) second, then bolt it up again.Curious to see if there will be "too much play", or be too loose to manage,if I do both install at the same time. ???

Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Midpipe/Catback Install ?

Wow, that's gonna be a great combo and what I"m going for, did you get the Magnapacks or regular Magnaflows? Also make sure you get sound clips.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Bolt up the midpipe then catback, keep everything kinda of loose till you get everything on the way you want it and there is no rubbing etc thats the best way not always the fastest. Then once you have it all up take the floor jack and get the mid section up as much as possible so it doesn't sag then tighten everything up.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I dont see you having any alignment issues installing both pieces at the same time. Everything is made to fit just like stock. Just dont tighten anything up until you have it all lined up.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Don't unplug the front O2 Sensors, just unscrew them and let them hang. That's the easiest thing to do, mainly because it will be much more painful to reinstall.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
ctstanger

[sm=oopssign.gif], too late on not unplugging the two front O2s. I just didn't see much clearnance to unbolt them, especially since sometimes they are on pretty tight.At least when I go to plug them back in now, I will just be slidding them in, and not depressing that darn tab at the same time.

I got the Flows, not the Packs. Didn't want it to be too loud of a system since I haveVert. Or annoy the neighbors too much when I rev it for leak checking or recording an "After" sound clip.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

sitnlopro99gt - Sounds like a good plan! I will do that! [sm=smiley20.gif]

It sure is nerving working underneath the car while it's onjack stands.[sm=smiley13.gif] I think I may get some backup jacks on the way home.Right now it is on RhinoRamps for therear and twojack stands for the front.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
ctstanger

I haven't had a chance to get back to the isntall last night, but a quick question. After unbolting all four connections of the stock midpipe, the passenger side, rear flange is still stuck together.

I only rapped it a couple of times with a mallet and sprayed it with Liquid Wrench before calling it a night, but it's just the two bolts and it comes right out right? That's what the other side did atleast.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ctstanger

I haven't had a chance to get back to the isntall last night, but a quick question. After unbolting all four connections of the stock midpipe, the passenger side, rear flange is still stuck together.

I only rapped it a couple of times with a mallet and sprayed it with Liquid Wrench before calling it a night, but it's just the two bolts and it comes right out right? That's what the other side did atleast.
Correct... I had to unbolt my exhaust and man-handle it a little bit to re-fill my diff after the cobra brake swap... it's just two bolts and it slides out. Since you're removing it and trashing it anyway, you can be rough with it
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 AM
ctstanger

What tool are people using to cut the mufflers off?

I have an 18v Ryobi Recipricating saw, not the best I know, but came with a kit that I haven't used yet. Anyway, the two blades it came with (coarse and fine) dulled out almostimmediately.

Is a recipricating saw the tool of choice (just better blades) or a cutting wheel (airtool), but then it would have to be a big cutting wheel to reach all the way around the pipe???
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 AM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

sawzall get them off in 2 mins a piece like 4 inches after the muffler.

Quick Reply: Midpipe/Catback Install ?