4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guess my max hp and torque with this setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Default Guess my max hp and torque with this setup

Here are my power mods:

Engine:

- 03 Cobra block
- Stock iron crank
- Forged rods
- Manley 0cc pistons (flat top)
- 11.5:1 compression (fly cut)
- Comp XE270AH stage 2 cams
- Comp upgraded valve springs
- Stage 3 ported PI heads by MMR
- Canton windage tray
- Underdrive pullies

- some if these aren't power mods, but I listed them anyway -

Intake:

- eBay special cold air (ie. some generic metal piping and a cone filter)
- Stock MAF meter
- 75mm BBK throttle body
- C&L plenum
- Stock PI intake manifold

Exhaust:

- MAC long tubes
- Prochamber
- Stock cat back tubing with flowmaster 40 series

Computer:

- SCT custom chip tuned

Fuel:

- Stock fuel system
- 91 octane fuel (best I can get at the pump in CA)

What do you all think my horsepower and torque should be?
I did not list suspension or tranny stuff because I'm just interested in what this setup should produce at the wheels.
I do have all of these mods in and I want to see if my power is close to what it should be, mainly becuase I'm considering installing bigger injectors (30#) becuase I think I'm maxing out the duty cycle.
Any suggestions what to do next, go right ahead. FI is out because of the compression and nitrous is still a maybe. Yes, I have gears.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Guess my max hp and torque with this setup

Sounds like your all set for nitrous to me. Why did you go 11.5:1 compression on a forged cobra block though? You can still run low boost on a s/c or run nitrious which is what I would do.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

No reliefs on the pistons??? Aren't ya worried about PTV issues?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Ya, I got the relief cut on the pistons. I learned about PTV the hard way, that's why I have a new motor.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

With those mods you need a dyno tune anyways so no need for a guessing game. If anyone could come within 20HP they could be like the guy at the state fairs guessing weights and ages and such! Just kidding man. 11.5:1 and 91 octane, did you have alky injection listed because you are going to have to back the timing quite a bit for that combo without an additive and since you mentioned 91 I assume this is not a race car or do you have plans for race fuel at the track? Who did the tune for the SCT?
How about a WIDEBAND o2 METER?
Just curious but since you dropped a few bucks with that motor why not go with a KB SC? They are 50 state aren't they? Sorry for all of the ?? but that's what that assembly brought out! Good Luck, mark
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Hindsight is always 20/20. I should have gone low compression with the KB. I would if I were to do it all over again. The compression is too high and I detonation issues. I screwed myself choosing the compression because I can't go FI. It's a street car, but not a daily driver. So Cal tuning did the tune and they did have to yank out a bunch of timing. But I have a theory that they had to yank timing because of maxing out the injectors, but they said the A/F was all good throughout. How about this: should I be over or under 300 RWHP?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

So you had PTV problems with the comp 270's? I was thinking about these on a stock motor.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

You won't if you degree them in.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TorchRed04GTSo you had PTV problems with the comp 270's? I was thinking about these on a stock motor.
Off topic for a bit to offer some advice here. You will need a lot more stall than 2600. Stock is that. Yes it really is. Ford lists it between 2350 and 2750rpm's. If you have a steep hill put the car in 2nd and goose the throttle just enough to have the tach jump but not downshift. Mine will flash to 2600 or about. For the best TC at a good price go to www.tccoa.com and under the drivetrain forum find dirtydOg. He is a converter builder and will build a 10" that will stall up to 3800rpm's and also hold being LOCKED in 2nd gear which makes the car much quicker. One guy had a .3 difference with the 2nd gear lock tune. You will need your SCT tuner reflashed but there are a couple of guys there that do that. You can expect about .7 from his 10" TC. BC-Automotive uses his TC's. They did a 5-speed to autop tranny in the jan. issue of MM&FF. Check it out. mark
For the thread starter I am going to PM you. mark
Old 02-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

well we have basicly the same setup except I am changing mine for now. your horspower and tourque will probably not be anymore than mine. but it maybe. you should upgrade your fuel system I did and it helped. I am changing my compression from 10.5 to 9.7 then straping a kb blower on so thats enough about me though I would say you would exceed 375 hp and they flywheel abd about 400 tourque at the flywheel!! thats is if tuned properly and having the nesecary fuel upgrades

Quick Reply: Guess my max hp and torque with this setup