4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

making an offer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Default making an offer

Hey guys, I don't have my mustang yet but I'm trying to work out a deal for one now. I have found a private seller who has a '99 GT for sale. It has 38k miles, mach sound, black leather, 5spd, power seats, etc etc. He is asking $9300 and KBB says $8300. My dad is actually the one paying for the car since I'm in school and can't do so myself. He is going to most likely come up with a number that he seems appropriate to offer the guy but I wanted to get some other opinions from you guys who have a lot of experience with mustangs and have bought at least one yourselves already.

I had the car thoroughly inspected by a technician who works for a company that specifically inspects used cars that people are looking to buy. He said that for the age, this was the best looking car he had ever seen. The body is pretty much immaculate except for a few little flecks of paint that got chipped off. Leather seats all look new except the drivers which just has some extra creases. Everything is original on the car and it has never had anything replaced except the tires. The only thing the mechanic said to watch were the brakes and the tires which would both last another 15k miles according to him. No leaks in the engine and everything runs smoothly. No CEL or thrown codes from the computer. The mech also said the rubber bushings which he expected to be dried and cracked all looked new but are original. Title is clean and this is the only owner. All in all it's a great looking car.

What do you guys think is an appropriate and fair amount to offer?

Thanks..
Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: making an offer

I would give him $7000-$7500 topps. He wants way too much for it.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

give him 8500. ur dads paying. its worth 8300 and ur sayign thanks for keeping the car nice and give him 200 extra.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
lsustang04
3rd Gear Member

Man, you can probably find some 00-01s for the same price he's asking. 9,300 seems high even if it is in good condition and their is no mods at all on the car.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

I just saw a 99 GT with 45,000 on it, 1 owner, completly stock, leather, 5 speed, flawless condition, and a new set of FR500s. He was asking $8,000 OBO. I would've offered him $7,250 for it. The car you're talking about is overpriced.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lsustang04

Man, you can probably find some 00-01s for the same price he's asking. 9,300 seems high even if it is in good condition and their is no mods at all on the car.

Well you say that but I have yet to find any less than 13k with reasonable mileage. Reasonable being less than or close to 50k (one of my dad's stipulations). I mean sure I could maybe talk them down to 11 but there just aren't that many for sale around where I live.

How can offering him less than KBB value make sense when KBB can't really account for the condition of the car? I mean, I jacked up the mileage on KBB just to see how much it changed the value. I tried 50k which didn't change the value and 60k dropped the value 200 dollars. That's not a very big change for a big difference in mileage. I think the reason why he's asking so much more than KBB is because of this reason. I obviously don't intend to offer him what he's asking but I am pretty sure I'm not going to go below $8300.

The fact that the car looks so great and is stock is also important to me. Since my dad is paying for the car he wants it to last through school and because it's stock he knows that no one has been under the hood messing around with stuff. Granted I may do some of my own mods I still would like to buy one stock.

Just from talking to the guy it seemed like if we offered much less than what he is asking he would just say no thanks. I don't know I guess I'll find out haha. I'll let you guys know what my dad comes up with and see what you think. Not that it really matters though since nothing I say will really change his mind haha. It's mostly just for me to know.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

screw it and buy a fox
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

one thing to remember... just because there are stock parts on the car doesn't mean it's always been like that.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

well to be fair if the car is immacualte with low mileage he is entitled to a higher price than KBB - bc these cars are hard to find - not beat all to hell... Now personally I wouldnt pay over the book - normally WAY under - but depends on you... how much work you want to put into the car and comfort level. I would say that the car is worth 9k and KBB is a fair deal for both of you - but like with my car which is babied and have 20,000 coats of wax - all maintainence and alot of upgrades - there is no way in hell id sell for blue book
Old 02-09-2007, 02:15 AM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

Well I'm not buying the car from a kid or even a young adult. This guy is like 40 and I can really tell he didn't mod it. He didn't even know anything about mods that can be done to it.

bransdaman, you seem to be thinking like me. It's hard to relate the actual condition of the car to you guys over the internet without being able to see it in person. It really is in amazing condition. I'm going to offer him 8400, just over book, and see where we go from there.

Quick Reply: making an offer