4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 11:26 AM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Default Shifting problems

When I was at the track last night on my second run I was shifting into third and the shifter felt like it went into third but it wasn't in gear. I tried to slap the shifter into third again and it wouldn't go any further. Then I tried to pull it back out of third and it wouldn't come out either. Finally I had to yank it out of third fumble around in nuetral a little bit and then it went right in third gear. Now for some reason on first and second even with the car off it feels like it is binding some and doesn't want to go in. I think it might be the bottom shaft that is bent but someone said it might be the shifter fork in the tranny. Anyone have this problem b4 and know what it might be for sure. I have a Pro 5.0 shifter wanted to get a tri-ax guess I have a reason too now huh.....
Old 10-31-2004, 11:28 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Shifting problems

Well I have never had a problem out of my tranny and the pro 5.0 is a great shifter IMO. Sounds like you have syncro problems.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:36 AM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Maybe but would it be syncro problems even with the car off and still binding? It binds all the time no matter what rpm and whether the engine is off or on. That is why I thought it might just be the shifter bent cause it wouldn't be lined up straight. I aint the only unlucky one at the track last night either. A buddy in a 99-00 cobra broke off the line. snapped the drivers side rear axel shaft in the IRS and over reved it anti-freeze all over the track from we don't know where. They shut down Temple-Academy for about 2 hours to clean the track it sucked man.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:40 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Damn... Im glad I didnt make it last night then. LOL Friday night they shut down the track for about 45 minutes because some guy on a Harley stood the bike all the way up and then it come down so hard that it threw him over the handle bars, into the center railing and into the tree! Thats why there isnt a redlight on the tree for the right lane! LOL YES... on a Harley!

Maybe it is the fork thats bent but I dont know how you could have done that with a pro 5.0. You must have been really shifting hard.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:47 AM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Yea I alway shift hard just put my hand back then tap the clutch and hit the shifter hard as I can usually goes in but his time it didn't. I do that cause once and a while I will have trouble going into third gear at the track. Probably didn't help that I hit it even harder the second time and it still was stuck. Oh well I guess I will have to rip it apart to see if it is the shifter today. never ends man alwasy breaking something on my POS. Its fast so i guess that makes up for it though.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:03 PM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Hey JD you missed out though last night. The track was tacky as hell. They had the 10.5 outlaws racing. I cut a 2.08 60 on street tires and 2 weekends ago only got a 2.4 on DR's little to do with the driver yea but I wasn't spinnin at all till 3rd gear.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:10 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

That sucks... Im glad I missed the two hour delay but it sounds like it was worth the wait. I can never get anything below a 2.2 there on street tires!!! The track just sucks!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:15 PM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Yea they had the spill cleaned up in about 45 minutes but ran the fan and torch for over an hour It was insane the traction I was getting with street tires. I loved it was the best I have seen that track. Too bad I only got 2 runs cause of the shifting problem.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I had the same problem with my 03 Mach1 as well. About 900 dollars later the problem was solved. I put in a beefed up heavy duy clutch and a Steeda shifter. Now, I can shift from 2nd to 3rd at around 6500 RPM without a problem. There's something about the Tremec tranny's and the syncros that causes this problem. It felt like hitting a wall with mine. It just simply would not go into 3rd at high RPM's. Now it does. Good luck with it.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:10 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I had the same problem with my 03 Mach1 as well. About 900 dollars later the problem was solved. I put in a beefed up heavy duy clutch and a Steeda shifter. Now, I can shift from 2nd to 3rd at around 6500 RPM without a problem. There's something about the Tremec tranny's and the syncros that causes this problem. It felt like hitting a wall with mine. It just simply would not go into 3rd at high RPM's. Now it does. Good luck with it.

Yeap... I know exactly what you mean. I did it three times in a row in Ga for the meet when me and Joe was going head to head in a bracket race.

Quick Reply: Shifting problems