4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LT install

Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
airborne22
2nd Gear Member

Default LT install

Before you say go search, let me say that I have and my search button hates me! No matter WHAT I type in it says there are no results! Never used to do that but it does now! Anyways, does anyone have a link to a write-up for installing LTs? I found one but it has you taking the tire and all the springs out and I really don't want to do that. Any help would be appreciated becuase I am going to be doing this in about 2 weeks. Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: LT install

You have to remove the Kmember inorder to do the install easily. But if you have a whole week to kill, like dislocating your arms to reach bolts and you like having to retighten your header bolts every couple of days then dont drop the k member. Try fnsweet.com for the easy install.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Do, u have access to a Lift?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml

otherwise your lifting the engine, contorting it around, just to set it back down and crush a primary...its more of a headache that way and best left to paying someone. The write up above (if thats what you have) is a little more back yard doable and all thats really required is an alignment and a lot of patience...just watch your egr/pcv piping and your dipstick as they seem to have the most casualties
Old 03-06-2007, 09:16 PM
smanog

i just finnished doing lts on my car
when you drop the k make sure that the motor is jacked up
the manifolds come out easy but the headers are a bitch to get in even with the k out
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Why does everyone dro[p their K-member??????? You can do the driverside with no problems at all beside removing the dipstick and steering shaft(one nut)! The passenger side is tough. You need to remove the motor mount bolt, take your strut brace off andunbolt your tranny at the crossmember to allow it to move up a little in orderto lift the engine up about an inch and a half or so...as much as it will allow you without lifting the car up because other stuff is catching. I have sdone this without removing the starter,. You can take the starter off to slide the header in place a little easier, but then you have to squeeze in ther to boly it back up before you bolt the header down.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

If you spend an hour and drop the k-member and let the motor down until the crank pulley hits the front swaybar you can do the job in 10 min. with air tools. You can ensure that the header bolts are tight and there's no pissed off wrench slinging involved. I tried to do mine without dropping it but after spending 3 hrs and only getting 5 bolts out I dropped the k-member.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

and if your gonna take the time to do lt's, spend the extra 40 bucks and get yourself some Stage 8 locking header bolts. I cant stress to you enough how much easier they will make your life...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM
LX90
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the process of getting a tubular K member and controls arms. This is the main reason for it too, more room for the LTs, and the weight loss is gonna be nice.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03greyGT

and if your gonna take the time to do lt's, spend the extra 40 bucks and get yourself some Stage 8 locking header bolts. I cant stress to you enough how much easier they will make your life...
Use the factory studs. It makes it super easy to install the headers and they will never back out. The gaskets will slide onto the studs and the factory nuts are locking nuts. I've had my lt's for a year and a half now and no problems at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT install