4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

FORGED

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default FORGED

Does "forged" mean forged steel or forged aluminum, or what kinda metal? And a forged bottom end means: rods, pistons and what else? What are ALL the components to a complete forged bottom end?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FORGED

It would be forged rods, pistons, and crank. As for the type of metal, I think you can get either, but it depends on how much money you want to spend, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Yeah, I just looked it up and you can get either type of metal, but the aluminum is obviously more expensive.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

It would be forged rods, pistons, and crank. As for the type of metal, I think you can get either, depending on how much you want to spend, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Aluminum is more expensive
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

So you can choose between forged steel and forged aluminum?? Both of them are acceptable, and both are very strong? Which one is stronger?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

forging is a process by which a metal is formed, like casting...just done under a lot of pressure. Magnesium, aluminum, steel...if its a metal you can forge it. just like billet is not a metal (keep looking on the periodic table its not there) but a classification on the purity of a set type of metal. The components of a bottom end include: Crankshaft, Thrust and main cap bearings, connecting rods, rod boltsand their rod bearings, pistons and their 3 respective rings and piston pin, it should also include things like the oil pump, oil pan, pick up tube and you can even include smaller things like the front and rear main seals, main caps, main studs and windage tray. Thats all i can think of right this sec...be back if i remember more
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

billet generally means it was machine from a solid block of metal... but I think with the "billet grills" this term is used very loosely. it has nothing to do with purity or content of the material.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks all, I know this question may have been asked before I haven't searched, but generally how much does it cost to buy and install all the forged components? And what metal is most commonly used for bottom ends? Do most people just go with rods, pistons and crank, or do they get all the things that ponysnake99 listed?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

basically - 1500 in parts and 1500 in install give or take
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

your going to get a steel crank either way, your biggest dicission comes with the rods. Aluminum rods will reduce rotating mass, making revs quicker, but (while controversial) most people go forged steel h-beams in their street car, you'll probably get all you need in a rotating kit, from the tri-metal bearings to the moly rings. Pistons you just need to worry bout them being forged i doubt there's many metals to choose from. Main studs and rod bolts are optional though as well as a windage tray but they can't hurt if you buy them. A good rotating kit from a respected company should include everything you will need.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you buy a pre-built block, it'll be about $2800-$3100 for a block goot to 900-1000HP. if there's a machine shop local to you, you can get the parts and build it yourself. too much of a hassel to me. it's also a good idea to get new heads and cams for it.

Quick Reply: FORGED