4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

fully built GT or Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fully built GT or Cobra

Well it's a hard one... when you say built car im thinkin like them a built block... if the motor is forged, and you're ok with 600rwhp or less, get the built 2v... if it's not built... get the Cobra. Even though it's not a forged motor either 4v>2v if everything is equal.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

if the GT is fully forged, then id jump on that deal cause u can still push in the 500/600 range easily...unless thats not enough for ya
That's all you can really run on the streets unless you plan on driving a daily driver around on race fuel??? Kinda expensive and pointless! The GT fully modded is the way to go because the brunt of expense has already been done and that's the main problem with the GT's...Too much dough for the mods! The cobra you'll be buying left and right to catch up to the GT, but you will eventually pass it and then some! I love power but 500 is more than enough for the street!
well if i remember correct Nanaki's friend had a built GT that put down i believe 630 on pump gas and like 680 on race gas, so its possible. Also, i forgot his name, but hes on these forums and hes building his GT right now shooting for 700s and i dont think he mentioned race gas but i could be wrong about him
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02KBGT

yea the car has everything done..the car sounds so sweet with the cams it has..you can hear the cams from far..my mechanic was the one who armed the motor and everything else..that car has over 10k in the motor alone..both cars are in really good condition but hte guy wiht the GT babies his car like its his own child..it also has HID's and carbon fiber dash...realllyyy nice looking not ricey at all..

i think imma go with the GT but imma think about it for a few more days..and i would love to have a 500-600 hp stang so i dont think i can fail..besides the GT looks like a cobra nad has a cowl hood..its already super nice looking..
Well if it has "everything" done, it should run low 12's in the 1/4, and be bullet-proof. You are talking about a car with ~$15k in it.

You are not gonna get boost on a Shortblock, built for N/A power, on pump gas. You are talking at least 10.5:1 C/R if not more. I guess you could sell that shortblock, and build another one if you want 600rwhp on the street.

Get us a mod list, and some dyno #'s
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
02KBGT
1st Gear Member

im gonna talk to my friend cuz i heard someone else mention he dyno' the car..ill find out.. the car is low compression too..someone was saying that it has the right compression for a supercharger and from what ive heard thats low right?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02KBGT

im gonna talk to my friend cuz i heard someone else mention he dyno' the car..ill find out.. the car is low compression too..someone was saying that it has the right compression for a supercharger and from what ive heard thats low right?

Thats right. Low CR for boost. Get us some specifics. Compression ratios. numbers, etc...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

sounds like an easy choice to me if the info is all corect
Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 97targa

if the GT is fully forged, then id jump on that deal cause u can still push in the 500/600 range easily...unless thats not enough for ya
That's all you can really run on the streets unless you plan on driving a daily driver around on race fuel??? Kinda expensive and pointless! The GT fully modded is the way to go because the brunt of expense has already been done and that's the main problem with the GT's...Too much dough for the mods! The cobra you'll be buying left and right to catch up to the GT, but you will eventually pass it and then some! I love power but 500 is more than enough for the street!
well if i remember correct Nanaki's friend had a built GT that put down i believe 630 on pump gas and like 680 on race gas, so its possible. Also, i forgot his name, but hes on these forums and hes building his GT right now shooting for 700s and i dont think he mentioned race gas but i could be wrong about him
yep, 630 on pump 680 on race. i actually saw that he's a member of this forum, but hasn't posted in almost a year. 12SECGT. he's had quite a bit done since he was that ol' 12sec gt though.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I'd go for the gt!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If you can be sure the car was built correctly & if you are willing to possibly have a nightmare on your hands further on down the road (you can't be assured nothing was cobbed or pennies pinched here & there), or just basically built cars - many people will have to troubleshoot many bugs to get them running correctly. Which isn't a big deal, but for someone with little tolerance or using the car as a daily driver...

I know someone locally that ran his mouth to me about his built GT, seller told him it was a forged short block - tko transmission & more... he had it tuned and within 3 days it had a nice new window in the block. Everything was CAST. It was a replacement motor...but definitely not what he was told.

Ifyour buddy can provide receipts/can have someone very knowledgable confirm everything is what he says it is & working correctly - the GT will be a better buy considering your wallet.

However, with an 03/04 you'll know exactly what you are getting. But you'll pay for it....

Quick Reply: fully built GT or Cobra