4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drag radials only useful on back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 PM
ownage9

Default Drag radials only useful on back?

I want to get some drag radials on my rear tires, thats what most people only do right? They only buy two for the back, because I wouldn't think having them on the front would do anything, would it?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:11 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Drag radials only useful on back?

the only way that there would be a use for putting the drag radials on the front would be b/c you could rotate them and they would probably last longer, but your traction would really be weakened by having a drag radial in the front. i am not sure where you live but if you live in Florida like me and it rains everday then you will want to put a performance tire in the front to help with traction. i am about to get lowering springs and some other suspension mods and drag radials all at the same time and im just going to take my two best tires an put them in the front now, put the drags in the back.... and then when the fronts go bad ill get some Nitto performance tires and throw them in the front.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

I dont think you would want them on the front. I would assume they would handle horrible. Also too, I dont think drag radials were designed for the front, unless you had a FWD car.... just my 2 cents...
Old 11-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Ideally, you don't want drag radials in front because they create more drag on the car. What I used to to, as well as a lot of others, was to obtain a second spare tire and rim, and use those for drag racing in the front. Thet are excellent for freeing up drag on the front.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

lol thats why dragsters have hella small tires on the front, and huge ones in the back
Old 11-05-2004, 06:27 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

drag radials have softer sidewalls, which isn't good for cornering. Just get regular tires on the front (preferably something good in the rain to help offset the poor rain performance from drag radials).
Old 11-06-2004, 03:15 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

Ideally, you don't want drag radials in front because they create more drag on the car. What I used to to, as well as a lot of others, was to obtain a second spare tire and rim, and use those for drag racing in the front. Thet are excellent for freeing up drag on the front.
The fact that they cause more drag has nothing to do with it. Drag radials up front on a RWD only car would be complete suicide, espcially when it was wet.

I have read numerous storys of 3000GT Vr-4 etc with awd losing control and eating a railing on the highway because of 4 drag radials.

If your gonna get D/Rs and your going to put any sort of mialge on it at all, go with Nitto NT555R D/Rs on the back and 555R radials on the front. The rears will last quite some time, and I have put somewhere around 8K on the fronts with almost no wear at all. (the rears are starting to show wear because of burnouts). The Rears can be had for 150/each and the fronts for like 125/each.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You guys have it backwards about soft sidewalls on tires, you actually want the tires to roll in corners, but whatever, thats for another topic.

Like Birdie said, the best way to do it is to get a set of spare wheels and mount the radials on them if you want longevity.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The fact that they cause more drag has nothing to do with it. Drag radials up front on a RWD only car would be complete suicide, espcially when it was wet.
Since when are dragstips open in the rain?? The point you're making has nothing to do with resistance or drag, it has to do with hydoplaning. Drag and friction has EVERYTHING to do with limiting your performance on the strip, with drag radials in front.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'm sure he plans on driving his car in the rain on the street Birdieman....

Quick Reply: Drag radials only useful on back?