4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shorties question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default Shorties question

I got my FRPP shorties installed by my mechanic yesterday @ $65 an hour for 7 hours.

I talked to two tuner shops in CT and the first told me that SHORTIES was a 15 hour job and they charged a ridiculous 125 an hour..... The next tuner shop I went to was $90 an hour and quoted me 10 hours.

tell me how is it that these shops that are supposed to be specialized in aftermarket work....one of them does TONS of mustangs.....how is it that they can charge what they do? My mechanic just followed the instructions included in the box.....including dropping the K member and all that stuff. then another shop that charges twice as much quoted me more than twice the amount of hours to do the same job.....

I mean, i know its supposed to be difficult, but its not like they're longtubes...and I've heard you dont even need to drop the k member and move stuff around for shorties, it just makes it a little easier....am I right?

either way, i'm happy about how it came out but i'm kinda pissed that the other shops were trying to rape me to do the same damn job.....
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 PM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shorties question

they specialize in them, so if you want someone that "KNOWS" how to put them in "RIGHT" you have to pay for it. In the long run they will only hurt themselves because when people start to find out they are going to go somewhere else to get it done and those shops will be missing out on all of their customers that they dicked over for a couple extra bucks in the short run
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

So you paid $455 for labor on shorties? I know it was the cheapest you found and probably everyone is charging that much or more but to me, being mechanically inclined...(done all my mods myself) those prices are a ripp off. If they were long tubes id say it was a good price but for shorties? I think all those estimates were way too much but like I said, thats probably the goin rate these days /shrug.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

yeahi can justify paying someone else to do the PITA long tubes especially with the auto in the way, but i dunno about the shorties. just so you new people know, if you dont know how to work on your car/are new to modding, when you pay for service..ASK them if you can watch, maybe from the bay door, or if you can near the guy working on them. If they are taking your money for install's chances are they wont mind you watching as long as youre not in the way or near any equipment which is a liability.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I got my Bassani mid-lengths and x-pipe put in for
$600.That wasthree techs working six hours.The best part was there are no leaks after two years of driving.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

the only complaint my mechanic had was that its a time consuming project that didnt really NEED to get done haha.....he does more fix-whats-broke type work...and the only time he ever has the chance to work on project cars is during the middle of the week.

once i told him the quotes I got from the other shops he was absolutely floored.....and as far as him 'knowing' how to do stuff? He'sa huge ford guy and owns an 04Cobra that he has built up and road races somewhere in New Hampshire....along with a 5.0 strip car......so that plus 30+ years of being a mechanic, i think he knows what he's doing...

and the parts were supplied myself....i still cant get over the shop that basically quoted me almost 2k for shorty install....

I probably could have done it myself in the spring when I'm able to swing a wrench again....but i bought em, and i'm impatient haha.....makes me wonder how worthwhile the tuning shops really are. I only see myself ever going back to one once I get a blower and need it tuned....everything else, i'll do myself or have my mechanic do....