4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

xpipe and emissions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

Default xpipe and emissions!

I just bought a Catted X pipe for my fiance' 97 GT, and when I bought it I thought it would be emissions legal. Well when I got it there was some type of paper in it saying that it was an off-road xpipe. But wouldnt the cats make it emissions legal? The cats do not have tubes for smog pump.? Should there be or do 97 not have smog pump?

Help me out here Im a 5.0 guy and I dont know a lot about the newer model!

Also there are two sets of bungs for O2 sensors. One in the beginning and one in the back. On the stock pipe I dont see spots for that many O2 sensors... are there?

Thanks For the HELP!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
stieny
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: xpipe and emissions!

ORIGINAL: Big5.0.13.7sec.

I just bought a Catted X pipe for my fiance' 97 GT, and when I bought it I thought it would be emissions legal. Well when I got it there was some type of paper in it saying that it was an off-road xpipe. But wouldnt the cats make it emissions legal? The cats do not have tubes for smog pump.? Should there be or do 97 not have smog pump?

Help me out here Im a 5.0 guy and I dont know a lot about the newer model!

Also there are two sets of bungs for O2 sensors. One in the beginning and one in the back. On the stock pipe I dont see spots for that many O2 sensors... are there?

Thanks For the HELP!
A performance X pipe, even with cats, might not pass emissions because it does flow better than the stock H pipe with ford cats. Just eliminate the rear O2 sensors with a MIL kit so you don't throw a code and you'll be fine. On OBD II cars thats how they check, they plug into the computer to see if its running clean.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

What is a MIL kit?

You think I purchase one that the car will pass emissions?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:03 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or CEL (Check Engine Light)

A MIL eliminator is a replacement for the O2 sensor that sends a steady signal to the computer in your car that says the emissions are clean so your CEL wont come on. If you put on an off road X without MIL eliminators, you will have a CEL in a matter of days.

The catted X should pass emissions with stock manifolds, but if you add LT headers then you run the risk of it not passing. What I do is take my car to the same place that does my oil changes and they put a sticker on it for me for a few extra bucks. But there are some states where actual state inspectors has to inspect your car. In Tx, they just qualify people that own places such as Oil and Lube shops.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 PM
ponygt

The only thing with getting a MIL eliminator is that the computer may still throw a p1000 (or something like that) code that will not set off the light, and may cause the car to fail emissions. The reason is because, when they plug the computer up and check for codes and history, it will show this code. Now, there is a way to clear the code and, it involves something like driving around for a while at the same rpm or mph or something. I believe though, you shoud be fine with the cated x-pipe. An off-road pipe is a cat-free pipe. The reason for so many bunks may be because they sent you the wrong one, I'm not sure.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:16 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I never get the code with my MIL eliminators. Now if I drive through high water (floods all the time in tx) then I will get a O2 sensor high circuit. Then all I do is hook up my OBDII and erase it. Never get the code for dirty emissions.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:44 AM
ricekiller2003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

A MIL eliminator is a replacement for the O2 sensor that sends a steady signal to the computer in your car that says the emissions are clean so your CEL wont come on. If you put on an off road X without MIL eliminators, you will have a CEL in a matter of days.

The catted X should pass emissions with stock manifolds, but if you add LT headers then you run the risk of it not passing. What I do is take my car to the same place that does my oil changes and they put a sticker on it for me for a few extra bucks. But there are some states where actual state inspectors has to inspect your car. In Tx, they just qualify people that own places such as Oil and Lube shops.

Could you just put the stock pipe on, get your sticker and then put the aftermarket pipe back on? It involves going under the hood, but how would these places get around that?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:06 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

You wanna talk about some bull ****... when i worked at the dealership over the summer.... i would help the mechanics with some of the emmsions tests. PA got a new system... where the computer dials up to a database or something.... So you cannot cheat, becuase the information goes directly to the database. Im not sure exactly how it works but you cant really just slip the guy a few extra bucks and have it pass.... It sucks
Old 11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Goofy question... I know on the 04's when u change to a lost of the X-pipes you have to get an O2 extension... will the MIL Eliminator work as that extension? I figured it would and for a 15 dollar difference mine as well... anyone know for sure before I install my x-pipe next weekend?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ricekiller2003

Could you just put the stock pipe on, get your sticker and then put the aftermarket pipe back on? It involves going under the hood, but how would these places get around that?

Yeap, people do it every day!

Quick Reply: xpipe and emissions!