4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

T-stat question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default T-stat question

i bought a 160 t-stat and right now i'm not running a t-stat and when i put it in it runs hotter with it on it will get up to almost 3/4 of the way up. I have my fans direct, they are on all the time, why does my car run hot? when i run it without it stays about half way all the time except around three or four in the afternoon it goes up 3/4 after that the rest of the day
Old 04-03-2007, 04:49 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: T-stat question

it stays cool. sorry meant to finish the sentence
Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Does it run hotter with the Tstat in or out?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:04 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

This isn't the old days bud... You need to put a thermostat in there! I 160 is too cold for everyday driving and your fan simply won't run in sync with it. Your fans are computer controlled to kick on at like 186 or something like that???? You also need atleast 170 to evaporate all unwanted or accumulated condensation inside there, a 160 simply won't let it hapen. I would put in a 180. I live in NY and only drive my car on nice 80degree days and run it pretty hard. Never goes about that 180 mark! Does the job it needs to.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

my car runs hotter with the t-stat in it! i leave it out so i dont everheat the engine and blow the head gaskets, i'm not willing to take that risk, just becuase this isnt the old days..i have my fans are on direct they are always on i have a switch to control when they turn on and when they dont.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

what your allowing the car to do is stay in open loop, the thermostat is continuously staying open. This allows the water to heat to above average temperatures, and not allowing the radiator to do what it is supposed to. If you wanted to drop the t-stat temp, you should have gone with a 180* but unless your pushing some serious hp, blowing a head gasket because of heat shouldn't be your biggest concern
Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Driving you car without a thermostat= not very smart
Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

why isnt it smart not driving with a t-stat? i've tried every range of degree of t-stats they all make my car run hotter than normal, i cant even turn on my ac with the t-stat in cause it will go up to red!, i take out the t-stat and it runs normal!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Are basing all this off of the idiot gauge in the dash? If you are that concerned I would buy a real water temp gauge so that way you know how hot your car is getting. I think you are being paranoid about it, unless there is something wrong with your car. Why did you direct wire your fans? I have driven the **** outta my car on 90+ days with damn near 100% humidityand its never gotten hot.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Running without a tstat is bad because the cooling system needs the restriction in it. With out it the water flows through the system to fast and doesnt cool properly. 160* keeps your car in start up mode and will make your car run rich which will decrease power. That is old school carb tricks and do not work on efi cars. The only reason they sell 160* tstat for our cars is if we switch it to carb. The 180* tstat is for nitrous or FI applications to help keep cylinder temps down to keep detonation at bay. Hook your fans back up correctly. It is not warming up properly with them on all the time. The only reason to have fans on a switch is if you have an electric waterpump also so you can cool your car while it sits and off.

Why do people just buy and do things to their cars when they know nothing about the car? Ask before you buy.

Quick Reply: T-stat question