4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Purchase/Modification Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:44 AM
darkstar

Default Purchase/Modification Help

hey.. im new to this mustang modification thing. im looking into buying either a 1996-98 cobra or a 1999+ GT. i know that the gt is only a 16v SOHC while the cobra is a 32v DOHC. i also would like to know what all i can do to my new stang, ive noticed that there isnt too much room under the hood. PLEASE HELP!!! thx
Old 11-23-2004, 03:01 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Purchase/Modification Help

buy a cobra with lower mileage and supercharge it! around 450h.p. with one major bolt on and wont have to touch anything else. oh yeah h.p. to the rear wheels!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

32v will smoke an equally modded 16v!!! that being said look for a 96-98 cobra, they are hard as hell to find though, i would try and get one that hasnt had anything done to it-that way one you will know what you are working with and two there is a lot less chance that the owner before you didnt rag the hell out of it! Cobra all the way baby!
Old 11-24-2004, 03:05 AM
darkstar

hey...thanks, cobra is hard as hell to find....but what about room under the hood????? is there enough for a cool air, and a regular size supercharger under the hood of a 98 cobra??
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

hell yeah there is, buy a 98 cobra and an intercooled procharger 8 psi system. and your cobra will sound and look like a stock cobra, and with the intercooler you could bump the psi to 10, be safe on a stock engine, and own almost everything on the street. and you can get it installed and tuned for probly 500$ or less. but most superchargers are do-it-yourself and come with very detailed installation manuals. but the tune out of the supercharger is key to making the most power out of your supercharger/cobra. good luck! god i wish i could have that setup, i would take that over an 03 cobra any day.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 AM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangTangGT

hell yeah there is, buy a 98 cobra and an intercooled procharger 8 psi system. and your cobra will sound and look like a stock cobra, and with the intercooler you could bump the psi to 10, be safe on a stock engine, and own almost everything on the street. and you can get it installed and tuned for probly 500$ or less. but most superchargers are do-it-yourself and come with very detailed installation manuals. but the tune out of the supercharger is key to making the most power out of your supercharger/cobra. good luck! god i wish i could have that setup, i would take that over an 03 cobra any day.
you have that setup, dont you?
Old 11-26-2004, 02:30 AM
darkstar

alrite i got yet another ?. what kind of headers and exaust. i hear alot about catback, magnaflows and flowmasters...which has the best HP/power gain. any other under the hood modifications?? cool air...procharger...headers???
Old 11-26-2004, 02:02 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: darkstar

alrite i got yet another ?. what kind of headers and exaust. i hear alot about catback, magnaflows and flowmasters...which has the best HP/power gain. any other under the hood modifications?? cool air...procharger...headers???
this should have been a new post but what the heck...first off i would def go with long tube headers and an o/r h pipe...then the catback is up to you-i personally like the magnapacks, you can go to mustangexhaust.com and isten to all different setups. and as far as OTHER mods, there are too many for me to list right here-figure out what hp range you want your car to be in and how much money you want to spend and then we can start helping you with mods, also figure out if you will ever run FI, b/c that will determine a lot of he mods too
Old 11-26-2004, 09:46 PM
not stock 26
1st Gear Member

yeah all depends on how fast you want to go and that is equaled to how deep your wallet is. lets say you still want to run around or the streets beat up just about anything, get headers a good X or H pipe if you go cats get hi flow ones, and a good cat back. next yeah i would throw a S/C on it if you got the scratch for it, if not get a nce port and polish, cams, and a good tune or chip. youll be damn happy