4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Harmonic Balancer install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Harmonic Balancer install

Sweet, thanks for the advice.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Go buy a puller and do it right. $10 to $15 at any auto parts store.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Id rent the actual tool for this. The last thing you want to do is f up the threads on your crank. I was just reading a post about a guy who used steedas longer bolt to do the install. He f'ed it up and now has to tryto retap the threads. You should be able to rent the tool from one of the auto parts stores.

Im sure plenty of people have installed the balancer without the proper tool, but IMO its not worth the risk. If the balancer isnt installed correctly you can ruin the threads on the crank orbreak your oil pump gears.

I just did some reading about the harmonic balancers (aka dampers). I think im going toman up and spend the cash on an Innovators West piece for my rebuild.
The guy probably tried to pull the balancer down all the way with the Steeda supplied longer bolt. The instructions that come with them say specifically not to do this. The bolt is ONLY used for the install so I'm unsure as to why you are talking about a puller.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 AM
mosnet23
2nd Gear Member

Anybody knows if an MANUAL gt uses a different harmonic balancer than a AUTO? My reason for the question is because I am in the process of going from AUTO to MANUAL and needed to know.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:01 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

It's the same.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

If you have the 00 GT do you know if you have the old style water pump? i believe its the outward style water pump pulley (not the caved in style). Reason being im asking is because i have the outward style....and i did the same install off BBK pulleys...everything is easy except the crank pulley....its weird because you actually have to bolt the new crank pully to your old balancer as one unit....you definatly need a puller to get it off no doubt....the hardest part IMO is bolting them together right....first time i did it...i barely even had the 3 bolts that hold them together tight and i stripped the threads inside the aluminum bbk pulley :-/ so after about an hour of playing with the tap and dye set...and a whoollle lot of threadlocker i got them together...i let it sit overnight and the pulley has a slight wobble at idle....but the bolts are tight and ive had it checked out its fine

so to make a long story short....be careful when you torque the pulleys together...i used a torque wrench and i still stripped them....if possible keep a set of helicoils on hand just in case....if mine ever vibrate lose im just going to helicoil them but if you be careful and use the threadlock and let it sit overnight you should be fine.....

oh and also..the instructions are really confusing haha...but other than that as logn as your careful about those bolts you should be okay with a puller....its a rather easy setup i just screwed up ...effin aluminum :-/
let me know if you have anymore questions id be happy to help ya bud
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Andrew00GT
2nd Gear Member

i need one i think .. my car started making a slicking noise on the highway and i noticed on the balancer the plastic circle is cracked and now it was cracked all the way from side to side .. is this the clicking noise i hear????
Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I just use a longer bolt to pull it on then use the stock to finish and torque it.