4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Running Lean after MAF change.. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:44 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default Running Lean after MAF change.. NEED HELP

aright we put a 90mm maf on it, its a stock 4.6 and we just wanted to see what the 90mm would do.. well it ran pretty good, and we actually pulled a car n half on a lt1 camaro, we use to be door to door, but we ran 5 times and beat him low end everytime but top end he kills us by a car n half. we went n put the stock maf back on it a day later ran a 14.5 he ran a 13.7 comin out of the whole the same but he beat him on 60ft 5tenths. the car started running like **** and we stopd at advance on the way home and they said the cars running lean, the scanner did. everythings tight nothing leaking and we disconnected the battery and its cracking real bad when letting of the gas. we need to fix this hopfully its a easy fix. also what gears would make this car run the best in the quarter mile while having a ok 5th gear for freeway driving.. 3.73's? 4.10's? thanks guys ...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Running Lean after MAF change.. NEED HELP

What other mods do you have? If you are not FI, the 90mm MAF is useless and will be detrimental to your car.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

i understand that. its fi and we took it off like 30miles later on the car... we put the stock one back on and the computer hasnt changed or anyhting its still sucking to much air i guess...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Okay, now I am thoroughly confused...You have a blower (FI)?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

when you buy a maf you should get it recalibrated... and should only be used if you have forced induction otherwise its pretty much useless unless your making 400+ n/a
Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

thats not what im asking.. im asking why and what i can do about the lean problem after changing back to the stock maf.. we ran the 90 for like 30 miles.. and then im asking what gears would be recommend'd for a street driven stock 4.6 .. we wanna race on the strip here n there to.. 3.73's or 4.10's?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

im assuming the stock maf is still reading the 90mm settings so my only guess would be to retune it but you might wanna wait till someone else responds before you go out and spend $100 getting it retuned. i have a street driven car and i have 4.10s i love them but sometimes i wish i had 4.30s....
Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

well what if we left the 90mm on there and put a sct chip n tuner on it? with 4.10 gears.. 14.5 is wat it ran what do you think it would run after them installs.. also can u run that 90mm on a stock gt with the tune and a chip? cuz were thinkn if we put the 90 back on it and a chip n tune it could be ok? cuz we just need to put some more fuel to it... we might need bigger injectors or t/b im not real sure.. im from the 5.0 froms and my buds the one with the 4.6 that were working on. so im kind of new to the 4.6 motors but basically its all the same tuning wise.. also them gears should wake it up shouldnt they? the 4.30's what kind of gas milage do you get with them and whats ur mods..
Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

you can shove as much fuel/air in a stock car you wont your doing nothing but wasting money if you want low ets get drag radials, lower control arms, and a nice set of gears. on a stock gt you dont need bigger fuel injectors. the fuel injectors you have now are good up to about 320rwhp so buying new injectors is a waste. also you need more time at the track. i guess you can recalibrate computer with the sct tuner to the 90mm maf but personally id throw that out and put it right back on ebay the stock maf is fine for up to about 350rwhp... code3gt is still running stock maf and he broke into 11s with his n/a beast.

i dont have 4.30s but there only like 200rpm higher then 4.10s so they cant be that much worse then 4.10s not say 4.10s are bad. i lost like 1-3mpg when i switched to 4.10s so you would prob lose 2-4mpg with 4.30s i would pm dan04cobra he had 4.30s in his old gt.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:42 AM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

whats ur car run in the quarter... so hey if we run 14.5's with the stock 3.27's 4.10's what u think it would run this is with drag radials.. also so theres no way to fix the lean problem besides a tuner? for some reason its just not readn the stock maf.. is there anyhting we can atleast try?

Quick Reply: Running Lean after MAF change.. NEED HELP