4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake upgrades???

Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default Brake upgrades???

An experience this morningmade me think a brake upgrade will be my next mod...[/align][/align]I knew the stock brakes ('03 GT) were no more than OK (even with good pads), however this morning just after dawn I found myself having to shed 55 mph real fast and I learned first hand how "no more than OK" they are. I was buzzing along all alone on I-10 headed for Tallahassee, having a grand time, when all of a sudden the "threat detector" Ka band lit up like a Christmas tree and I needed to slow down now! (oh, the 55 mph in question were from 130 to 75 mph).[/align][/align]It worked (bank account and insurance "points" are intact) however I could feel the front brakes fading fast and once I got down to a legal speed the cabin filled up with pad gas and burnt iron smell--as I said I knew the brakes weren't great, but I never expected that one (albeit significant) "slow down now" would almost completely fry 'em up.[/align][/align]What do you guys recommend? I think the calipers may beup to the task, but larger diameter rotors will be a must. With brakes I won't ask "what's the cheapest", however I do like to make sure I get the best value when I upgrade.[/align][/align]
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brake upgrades???

I switched to the cobra brake upgrade kit. I only ended up putting on the front, but I could definately tell a difference. I hate to plug, but I have the rear brake conversion kit with drilled and slotted rotors for sale. They are brand new, never installed and retail for like 450.00.

Its this kit (well sorta) I ordered it from mustang tuning/ american muscle. Only difference is the calipers are black and like I said the rotors are slotted and drilled.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/powder...pers-9404.html
Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Actually I think the rear brakes are fine, in fact when the fronts were fading I could feel the backend doing the work--but the front took a pounding...
Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Actually I think the rear brakes are fine, in fact when the fronts were fading I could feel the backend doing the work--but the front took a pounding...
Yeah they just look stupid once the fronts are upgraded. You can get a front cobra brake kit for under 400; a little over with upgraded rotors. You will notice a difference!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 AM
MrGame

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

An experience this morningmade me think a brake upgrade will be my next mod...[/align][/align]I knew the stock brakes ('03 GT) were no more than OK (even with good pads), however this morning just after dawn I found myself having to shed 55 mph real fast and I learned first hand how "no more than OK" they are. I was buzzing along all alone on I-10 headed for Tallahassee, having a grand time, when all of a sudden the "threat detector" Ka band lit up like a Christmas tree and I needed to slow down now! (oh, the 55 mph in question were from 130 to 75 mph).[/align][/align]It worked (bank account and insurance "points" are intact) however I could feel the front brakes fading fast and once I got down to a legal speed the cabin filled up with pad gas and burnt iron smell--as I said I knew the brakes weren't great, but I never expected that one (albeit significant) "slow down now" would almost completely fry 'em up.[/align][/align]What do you guys recommend? I think the calipers may beup to the task, but larger diameter rotors will be a must. With brakes I won't ask "what's the cheapest", however I do like to make sure I get the best value when I upgrade.[/align][/align]
almost exactly the same thing happened to me, i had to slow down from about 110 to about 60, and the car wouldn't slow down. It was scary as all hell, and brakes are without a doubt going to be my next upgrade
Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

The only thing thats reasonable now a days thats a realy upgrade is the cobra R upgrade... 4 piston calipers for $1000 or baer 6 piston calipers for $2000-$3000... its your choice... gonna be a gamble though... because supposedly the cobra R brakes (Brembo) dont fit in the 17" bullits... but ive seen a pic that Code posted had Baer brakes on 17" bullits... And I dont see why the 4 piston would be bigger then the 6... I say go for it and if they fit I will buy them also

Why go from a 2 piston caliper to another 2 piston caliper... Cobra R brakes FTW!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:00 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

If you're not doing track work and you just want your DD to whoa up in a hurry without filling your drivers compartment with smoke, do the Cobra upgrade. Put the 13 inch slotted rotors on and a nice set of hawk pads and you'll be happy. You can do it for under $400.00
Old 06-16-2007, 03:46 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Cobra/Mach/Bullit 13" upgrade FTW! I know from your other posts that you put some miles on your car commuting; the $2000-$3000 brake upgrades really aren't warranted for unless yourdeepinto road racing your car. The Cobra calipers are mechanically identical to the Mach/Bullits, but each look different: Cobra come black lettered with "COBRA", Mach are just a solid black, and Bullits are red with a horsey. If you don't care about the look of the rotor, get the stock Brembo blanks that come with all of the kits. I went with Powerslots just for the hell of it. Comparing the Brembo blanks to Powerslots, the general consensus is that the performance difference isn't really that noticable for street applications. I would recommend going with Hawk Pads regardless of which rotor you choose, because from experience they bite nicer than the stock pads. Oh yeah, and the rears are more of a pain to install than they're worth, unless your going for that look; the upgrade for the rear uses the same little caliper, just increases the rotor diameter.

Hope that helps,
Shawn
Old 06-16-2007, 03:58 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

I also recomend the cobra upgrade for the money its hard to beat I did the front and back for a matched look the difference in stopping is night and day.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Thank you all for some great suggestions, I'll let you know how things work out...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake upgrades???