4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Idleing problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default Idleing problems...

Aight fellows... it isnt often that I cant answer my own questions but I am totally stumped here and I need some guidence.

I just installed a 70mm Mac TB. At first I just bolted it on with the old gasket (I know...) and I was getting a high idle problem. I replaced the TPS and for the most part it fixed the problem. It still idled at or about 1500 and fluxuated a little while in neutral and at a roll coming to a stop then drops to 900 after three or so seconds. Well I went today and bought a new gasket in hopes that it was a simple vacume problem. But it wasnt. I took the IAC off and cleaned it well and checked to see if the butterfly flapper inside the TB was completely closed when at idle, and it is. I have no clue what to do next.

It high idles at 1500 and after about three seconds after I stop from a slow roll, then it goes back down to 900 rpms. Same issue if Im just sitting still and rev the engine.

HELP!!! LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 05:47 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Idleing problems...

jdan.... i think that MD said that for a few days to a week, once u install the new TB it will idle weird for a while,,, then after that week it should go back to normal... maybe u should chill on it for a week and see if it goes to normal... if not then u should start questioning it
Old 01-08-2005, 05:51 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I read that also but I put it on about a five days ago and figured it would have gone away by now. Thats why im asking.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Aight fellows... it isnt often that I cant answer my own questions but I am totally stumped here and I need some guidence.

I just installed a 70mm Mac TB. At first I just bolted it on with the old gasket (I know...) and I was getting a high idle problem. I replaced the TPS and for the most part it fixed the problem. It still idled at or about 1500 and fluxuated a little while in neutral and at a roll coming to a stop then drops to 900 after three or so seconds. Well I went today and bought a new gasket in hopes that it was a simple vacume problem. But it wasnt. I took the IAC off and cleaned it well and checked to see if the butterfly flapper inside the TB was completely closed when at idle, and it is. I have no clue what to do next.

It high idles at 1500 and after about three seconds after I stop from a slow roll, then it goes back down to 900 rpms. Same issue if Im just sitting still and rev the engine.

HELP!!! LOL

Don't panick...LOL...as GT1999 said...It will come back to normal in a few days...LOL....You should know this JD...I thought you were number 1 and i was number 2 in mustang knowledge...LOL...It's the same way even if you install a different type of Air filter(Going from stock filter to K&N)...Your car has a very sophisticated computer system.....It's smarter than you think....LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

you could spray carb cleaner around all areas where there might be a vacuum leak. And if there is the idle will jump up a little when sprayed at teh leak. if not then your good in that sence.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:58 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

ya dued i say wait another few days and see what happens, im sure its not really hurting anything, its just annoying to see it not working right... wouldnt u feel bad if u did all this stuff and went through all this trouble and nothing worked , but in 3 days it started working ok again...
Old 01-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

well if thats the case that couldnt you disconnect the battery to reset all memory the computer has. I Heard that you should do that if you buy a car from someone. cause the computer adapts to the drivers style of driving. could be a mith, but it sounds like the samething. The computer has to adapt to the new change and it takes a while cause its used to the old readings. Not sure, worth a try though.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:32 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Nah... thats a myth. I got the TB from CedarKill and he said he disconnected his for the night and nothing come of it. Im gonna wait about another week and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Mine did the same thing...here's what I did:

Just back the idle speed screw all the way out... Mine for some reason was holding it open the tiniest bit and it gave me a high idle... I just backed it all the way out and it was fine... I also let the car run for about 20 mins after I had disconnected the battery and mine was fine within the day.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:44 PM
neogenic83
3rd Gear Member

the throttle position sensor might be off. when I changed mine out it sis that I had to play with it alittle to figure out what the correct spot was. there is a way to do it with a multimeter but I don't know how mabe someone in here does I just did it by trial and error

Quick Reply: Idleing problems...