4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech and Nitrous am i pushing it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:44 PM
hitsman10
1st Gear Member

Default Vortech and Nitrous am i pushing it??

I know this isnt the right place to post this but i just wanted to get everyones opinion about this. SoI just got done finishing up getting everything for my vortech supercharger. My question is will i be safe running 8 psi and a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech and Nitrous am i pushing it??

Maybe depending on the tune. The hotter it gets the safer it would be for the car. A 50 wet shot would actually gain you more power in the summer than a wet shot in the winter especially with a boosted, non intercooled application. It would cool the cylinder walls down allowing the car to not heat to excessively and creating more power, safer.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you're running an after/intercooler, i wouldn't do it. you'll already be right around the ~400RWHP mark. anything more and you'll be on borrowed time. if you're sitting at like ~350, you can get away with like a 25 shot, which will probably give you about 50HP.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

I would say yes, at 8 PSI you should see 340-365 (non intercooled) at the wheels, and with a 50 shot you will get about 75hp gain which puts you over 420 at the wheels, which I consider to be treading lightly. However with a good tune and only occasional use you'll be fine, I dont' think going over a 50 shot would be safe.

E.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sap

I would say yes, at 8 PSI you should see 340-365 (non intercooled) at the wheels, and with a 50 shot you will get about 75hp gain which puts you over 420 at the wheels, which I consider to be treading lightly. However with a good tune and only occasional use you'll be fine, I dont' think going over a 50 shot would be safe.

E.
see.. that's what would worry me the most. you'd have to run a flip chip to switch between the nitrous ready and the non-nitrous tunes. what if you forget you're on the nitrous tune and you hit it and the bottle isn't open and ready to spray? seems a little risky. if you want that extra 40-50HP, get methanol. much cheaper to refill and you can get great numbers. also very cost effective.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM
hitsman10
1st Gear Member

well prolem with the meth is i already have the nitrous in the car and have only had it in there for about 3 months so i dont want to just not use it. Also its a none intercooled setup, and wouldnt i not need to switch between a nitrous tune if enough timing was pulledand or fuel was added for the superchrager?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
hitsman10
1st Gear Member

also with just running a 25/ 50 shot wouldnt that require no timing retart, or added of fuel?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you'd have to get your car thrown on a dyno and have them check out your AF with and without. if you lean out with the nitrous on then when you have it off, you're probably going to need multiple tunes. you'll have to go get it dyno tuned anyway with the blower. ask them what they think about the situation.

i dunno, nitrous kits have a good resale value on them. you can get quite a bit for a used one. you can get a meth kit with the money you get from selling the nitrous, and it's only $2 to refill it and you'll have that power all the time.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

It seems Methanol injection is the way to go, however you may just consider getting an intercooler. I personally like methanol injection and think its a great cost effective way to intercool, but with ebay intercoolers + piping kits around 500, you can intercool for the same price as meth injection. However, I'm no expert on pricing so if you can get a meth kit for cheaper then dont hold me to it.

E.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

E.
He said 420

Quick Reply: Vortech and Nitrous am i pushing it??