4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Busted a Cat: BIG DILEMMA...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default Busted a Cat: BIG DILEMMA...HELP!

Hey guys, I posted before about the busted cat converter on my Pypes X pipe...I have a big dilemma...I'm 16 years old, no job yet, butI have some money set aside. I need to fix this ASAP becuase it's my only car and I can't keep driving like this or else the Catalyst will shoot into my Flowmasters and thats a HUGE problem. Hopefully it hasn't happened yet, but I don't think it has. I've been advised to shift no past 2500 rpm, to keep the catalyst in place. It's shakin around pretty bad when I drive, to the point where I can EASILY hear it over the roar of the exhaust.

So here are my choices:

1. Buy a new Hi Flow Catalytic Converter from Magnaflow for one side only. (Dilemma: The other one may go bad, or may sound uneven.)

2. Cut the cats off a stock H-pipe and weld them into the Pypes X-pipe. (Dilemma: I have to buy a whole H-pipe which would be a waste.)

3. My local Mustang shop which I'm a frequent customer to recommended buying another cattedX-pipe alltogether. She recommended getting a BBK or a MAC X-pipe for cheap. Becuase the old X-pipe may be busted altogher. (Dilemma: That would put me out of my savings.)

4. Try to get it covered by Pypes Lifetime Warranty. It states that post 1981 cars have a 5 year warranty. (Dilemma: I have no idea when the last owner installed the X-pipe in, nor do I have any documentation of it.)

I have about $300-400 left, and my parents might help me out a little with it. The Mustang shop I go to can have the Hi Flow Cats or new X-pipe delivered same-day, so I can order Monday morning and pick it up Monday afternoon. She said she could get the Magnaflow Cats for like $65.00 each. What do you think? Guys, this is my only ride...I need help fast. What would be the best thing to do.

Thanks!!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Busted a Cat: BIG DILEMMA...HELP!

i would just pony up the 64 bucks and get a new cat and have it welded in
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yeah I think thats what I'll do...I found these online on 50resto.com

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

They seem like a direct replacement for my Pypes X-pipe right? They only cost like $57.00 each, so I might just go ahead and buy both and have them both welded in, so I'll have a new set. Hows that sound?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Time for a new exhaust lol. [8D]

SLP o/r x and lm1. Not to expensive ha.

Seriously though, just have the shop check it out and just buy a new cat.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

To be honest with you, there really isn't that HUGE of a difference between a so called "high flow" cat and the factory cat Ford shipped out with your car. Either way, in your situation, cut/weld in a new cat. Doesn't really matter which brand you go with.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yeah I didn't really think there was a difference, but the Ford OEM cats cost like upwards of $400.00. The High Flows are MUCH cheaper.

If I can just cut/weld in a new set of those Pypes Cat Converters I posted up there from 50resto.com , I will definately just do that.

So can I just cut/weld them in no problem? Or is there more to it. Cuz I'll order them RIGHT NOW if it will work.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Intruder505

I had the same thing happen to my cats from Pypes. I called up the company and the customer service rep. said that they could replace the cat if I cut it off and shipped it to them for their analysis. Their test was to see if I had modified the cat in any way, or to see if the car was running rich. That was a problem since my car is a daily driver. He offered me the choice of buying another hi-flow cat at a cost of 50 dollars shipped, or a discount on another set of pipes. My X-Pipe from them was only a year old and still under warranty, so needless to say, I was upset. I declined that offer and the hi-flow cat price as well. I instead bought a UPR Catted X and tried to forget about Pypes. One thing that you should consider is your budget. That is key in determiningwhat you should do.If I were you, I would buy another X-Pipe from another company. It sucks money wise, but you will be happier in the long run. GivePypes a call and see what they can do for you in terms of cats.I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Thanks so much for the input Intruder505.

I think I will give thema call on Monday, but since I have no idea when the X-pipe was installed, they might reject my complaint. And, my car has been running a bit rich lately...[>:]
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

So can I just cut/weld them in no problem? Or is there more to it. Cuz I'll order them RIGHT NOW if it will work.
that's all there is to it, just measure the new cat, make you markings and cut the old cat out then weld the new one in (in the right direction of course )

oh and be sure the cat you order has a2 1/2" inlet/oulet
Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

that's all there is to it, just measure the new cat, make you markings and cut the old cat out then weld the new one in (in the right direction of course )

oh and be sure the cat you order has a2 1/2" inlet/oulet
Yeah, I caught that...Thanks

Quick Reply: Busted a Cat: BIG DILEMMA...HELP!