4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Steeda UDP install - How difficult

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda UDP install - How difficult

OK, my Steeda UDP's will arrive today. I have been thinking about doing this myself. It not the money to have someone else do
it. I just don't have the time to bring it to a garage. Everyone says the alternator pulley is difficult. Its held on with a single nut. What is
so difficult about it? Just getting it off? Would a puller do the trick? Are these bolts reversed threads? My concern is the crank pulley.
Would a hefty socket wrench and a break bar to the trick. I think I can use the steering wheel puller to remove this one. Any feedback from those that have done it themselves would be greatly appreciated. Taking it to a garage to do means a vacation day from work.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
tylers66mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda UDP install - How difficult

Its not too hard of a job...
It will take you a couple hours...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
MustangManiac017
1st Gear Member

can't add any input on install help, but from an outside view I'd say look into finding a local car club or a local guy who can do it on the side or something, I've read it's only an ~hour job for someone who knows what they're doing, can you take it to a shop on the weekend? Also remember if you try to install it yourself and can't get it done properly you might end up taking that vacation day from work anyway.

Could also just save for a while and buy other stuff you want a shop to install, (full length subframes are a pretty cheap and worth while mod that needs welding for install) and make your vacation day really worth it
Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
AntiGT03
1st Gear Member

I didnt have any trouble at all....took like 1 hr and 30 mins...I do have alot of experience but I think anyone who slighty knows what they are doing would be okay with this job imo.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't seem to bad according to the Haynes manual I have. My concern is snapping a bolt. Does anyone know if
any of the bolts are reverse thread? I have heard that some have taken the altenator off and brought it to Autozone to remove the pulley. Is it really that difficult?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 PM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

correct me if i'm wrong , but i have heard alot of people burned up their alternators from using that alternator pulley.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:02 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

It isn't bad. Go to Discount or some place like that and rent the pulley puller kit so that you can get the crank pulley off. The alternator is difficult just because it is hard to keep it from spinning while you try to loosen it. Keep the car in second gear and leave the belts on to help you get the alternator pulley off. The rest are pretty easy.
This should help: https://mustangforums.com/m_2144008/...tm.htm#2144008
Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adam_ferguson

correct me if i'm wrong , but i have heard alot of people burned up their alternators from using that alternator pulley.
I'd say you're wrong, I've had no problems what-so-ever with my pulleys. No charging or overheating issues at all, and I am in Miami, FL and it is hot as hell. Sitting in traffic with the radio and A/C on, I have no issues and the A/C is cold.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man. I'll check out this link.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Hey, just one more question which no one has addressed yet. I suppose I can find out the hard way but are any of the bolts reverse threaded or do they all follow the righty tighty lefty loosey?

Quick Reply: Steeda UDP install - How difficult