4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Water + engine = bad (plz help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default Water + engine = bad (plz help)

Well....I was driving to the college from the other campus and it started raining...then it started raining really really bad, so I headed home and hit this huge puddle that was like 40-50 feet long. Well when I got home I waited for it to stop raining and looked at my filter (K&N) as soon as I pulled the air box off (silencer removed) a bunch of water fell out [:@][:@]. The filter was soaked. I just cleaned it the other day, I guess I over-oiled it because the engine didnt hydro lock. There is water all over the MAF, several drops (I looked through the intake tube). So, a few minutes ago I put some of the k&n filter cleaner on it and it's in the garage right now chillin'.
On the way home, after the majority of the water, the car was making an awfull squealing sound. It didnt sound like the cerpentine belt - more like a dying dog. Wtf was that sound?!

Btw, I haven't started the car yet since then. All this happened about an hour ago.

Sorry for the long read, please give some help/input.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Pest007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Water + engine = bad (plz help)

Sounds like you'll be alright, let the car dry off, and let your filter and stuff dry off. As long as the motor didn't hydrolock, your fine, an engine can actually ingest some water and still be alright, as long as you didn't rev the crap out of it or anything. As for the dying dog noise, it prob has something to do with the belt or an accessory pulley, let it dry out and start her back up, check your sensors and for any codes, but you should be fine.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

id pull of the air intake tube and see if any water got into your throttle body. but if it didnt crack the block as of yet youre probably in the clear. the sound is either your belt slipping on wet pulleys or water got in the bearings in the pulleys, which will eventually evaporate and go away. think youre in the clear man. id probably change your oil to be safe in case water got in there somehow.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

btw where do you live? i drove through a huge *** puddle today in a downpour here in vegas. sucked, but water only got as deep as my chin spoiler. funny when you hit a puddle doin 35 and all of a sudden youre doing 10 mphand the guy in a car next to you smoking a cigarette with his window down is soaked =X
Old 08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pest007

Sounds like you'll be alright, let the car dry off, and let your filter and stuff dry off. As long as the motor didn't hydrolock, your fine, an engine can actually ingest some water and still be alright, as long as you didn't rev the crap out of it or anything. As for the dying dog noise, it prob has something to do with the belt or an accessory pulley, let it dry out and start her back up, check your sensors and for any codes, but you should be fine.
+1
Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

^^yeah it sucks

i live in texas

i think that if any water did make it into the cylinders it was a very small amt and probably got burned off. i think ill take off the inlet tube though, sounds like a good idea

im pretty sure its all or nothing with hydrolock

watter getting in the bearings is a good idea, i never thought of that

but yeah the noise was def. not the belt slipping
Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

^^yeah it sucks

i live in texas

i think that if any water did make it into the cylinders it was a very small amt and probably got burned off. i think ill take off the inlet tube though, sounds like a good idea

im pretty sure its all or nothing with hydrolock

watter getting in the bearings is a good idea, i never thought of that

but yeah the noise was def. not the belt slipping
I am so glad to be out of Texas right now. I was there last year at this same timeframe and El Paso got pissed on for weeks and weeks. It sucked. Hopefully everything is ok.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

How fast did you go through the puddle and how did you not see a 50 foot puddle?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_marine8762

How fast did you go through the puddle and how did you not see a 50 foot puddle?
It's hard to guess the depth of a puddle, especially in most parts of TX where the land is relatively flat.

You should be alright. If water got into the combustion chamber, the motor would already threw a rod and locked up.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

This is why I have an Explorer.

If the engine didn't shut down, you're most likely fine. Double check the oil and make sure the bearings are still free on the accessories.The only onesit'd really hurt are ones that were ready to go out anyway...they are made to take a bit of moisture anyway. This also adds to why I wouldn't run a paper filter. You'd be picking pieces of paper our of your engine about now...along with the other crap it let in.

Quick Reply: Water + engine = bad (plz help)